"Weight Loss Faster And Healthier With Fewer Meals"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Weight Loss Faster And Healthier With Fewer Meals"

One of those studies that goes against everything we believe. Probably some major flaws in the study but interesting regardless.

Slimming goes better with two large meals a day than with six smaller meals researchers at the Institute for Clinical and Experimental Medicine in Prague discovered. According to the Czechs, who used plump and fat subjects with type-2 diabetes, losing weight by eating two large meals a day is healthier too.

Experimental setup

The researchers gave 54 subjects aged between 30 and 70 six small meals per day for three months, and for another three months they gave them two large meals a day. The two meals a day were a heavy breakfast and an equally heavy lunch.

The composition of the diet was the same in both periods: 55 percent of the energy came from carbohydrates, 20 percent from protein and the rest came from fats. The subjects were given about five hundred kcals fewer than they burned.

All subjects exercised about the same.

Faster weight loss

The subjects lost weight during both periods. But the amount lost and the decrease in waist measurement were both greater during the period in which the subjects ate two meals a day.

During the period that the subjects ate six meals a day their waist circumference decreased by 1 cm; during the period that they only ate twice a day the decrease was 5 cm.

Healthier

During the period that the subjects ate twice a day the amount of fat in their liver [HFC] went down more than it did during the period when they ate six times a day. In addition, when they ate fewer meals they had less glucose and C-peptide [a marker for insulin production] in their blood in the early morning. This is an indication of an improved insulin and glucose balance.

Conclusion

"These results suggest that eating two larger meals a day (breakfast and lunch) may be more beneficial for patients with type 2 diabetes than six smaller meals during the day", the Czechs write. "Novel therapeutic strategies should incorporate not only the energy and macronutrient content but also the frequency and timing of food. Further larger scale, long-term studies are essential before offering recommendations in terms of meal frequency."

Yeah all the newest data suggests fasting and eating just 2 or maybe even 1 meal per day is optimal. I seriously believe the 6 meals per day is just bodybuilding bro science. The time you spend fasting (i.e. not eating) your body is repairing itself. It doesn't need to waste energy digesting.

I've been heavily into intermittent fasting lately. Eating one day and nothing at all the next day, basically eating every other day and I feel pretty good on it. The biggest thing I notice is the lack of inflammation in my joints and face is much less bloated. There is a scientist Dom D'Agastino who does fasting and 100% ketosis and is pretty ripped.

Comment

Originally posted by M00chie69 View Post
      Yeah all the newest data suggests fasting and eating just 2 or maybe even 1 meal per day is optimal. I seriously believe the 6 meals per day is just bodybuilding bro science. The time you spend fasting (i.e. not eating) your body is repairing itself. It doesn't need to waste energy digesting.

I've been heavily into intermittent fasting lately. Eating one day and nothing at all the next day, basically eating every other day and I feel pretty good on it. The biggest thing I notice is the lack of inflammation in my joints and face is much less bloated. There is a scientist Dom D'Agastino who does fasting and 100% ketosis and is pretty ripped.
      the body is adapatable so I'm sure it could work up to a limit.

the question is, if my goal is 250lbs shredded would that type of diet work? i don't think you could get the cals needed to support all that muscle if you were to eat like that.

Comment

There is a lot of research out on the benefit of intermittent fasting, more so with alternate day fasting than fasting than having a feeding window. I think I remember reading Alan Argon is an advocate of intermittent fasting but not lifting in a fasted state.

I think eating multiple times a day became popular because people saw pro bodybuilders weighing 300 cut or elite level atheletes eating multiple meals a day because they are taking in 5000 calories or more and wanted to emulate them.

As for ketosis I was an advocate until I read some journal articles on how ketones are toxic to your body.

Comment

Working...
        X