Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw Eggs For Muscle Growth Digestibility

Limited Protein Absorption When Consumed Raw

Eggs may be famous for their protein content, but if you're eating them raw, you are getting shortchanged. A study published in the Journal of Nutrition found that only 51 percent of the protein in raw eggs is digested after consumption, compared to 91 percent for cooked eggs -- meaning nearly half of the protein in a raw egg exits your body unabsorbed. The study's researchers explain that heat alters the shape of an egg's protein molecules, granting your body better access to the peptide bonds that hold together amino acids. In the case of raw eggs, your digestive enzymes can't penetrate those peptide bonds as easily, leading to a hefty portion of inaccessible protein.

Bottom line.. Cook your eggs!

making some changes in my diet.

Comment

i almost never cook the yolk all the way through. make eggs over-easy or over-medium... i wonder if all the cholesterol is absorbed

Comment

Originally posted by jack tors View Post
        i almost never cook the yolk all the way through. make eggs over-easy or over-medium... i wonder if all the cholesterol is absorbed
        not sure. maybe just the heat itself makes it more digestible without actually being cooked. but if it doesn't that means half the protein which is in the yolk is not being absorbed either.

Comment

Working...
        X