Protein Researcher Says 1 Gram Per Pound Has Little Evidence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protein Researcher Says 1 Gram Per Pound Has Little Evidence

"So, what would I recommend today looking back on the last 5 years of research?

Well, based on everything, I think ~0.8-1g/lb (~1.8-2.2g/kg) is probably the highest intake you’ll benefit from in terms of enhancing strength or mass gains when you’re not in a deficit. Higher intakes are fine, but the only benefit would be for people who tend to overeat in the offseason and want to limit their calorie consumption to prevent excess fat gain.

While dieting, the jury is still out concerning whether there’s a benefit from an intake higher than 1.8-2.2g/kg for muscle retention. However, there probably are some benefits in terms of satiety and potentially mood. That said, I wouldn’t go too high, as excess protein can displace your caloric allotment for carbs and fat. Don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater and end up with a sub-par diet in terms of variety, micronutrient density, and adequate nutritional support for training. Thus, I’d cap dieting protein intake at ~2.8g/kg of total body mass, or roughly 1.3g/lb."

Full Article (It's Long) https://www.strongerbyscience.com/re...dying-protein/

What's not clear is if this applies to AAS users or not. I would guess probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
      What's not clear is if this applies to AAS users or not. I would guess probably not.
      How would that be any different though?

Or do you mean because of us being ON, require more for gains or lifts?

Serious question

Comment

Originally posted by rado View Post
        How would that be any different though?

Or do you mean because of us being ON, require more for gains or lifts?

Serious question
        Well one of the ways steroids work is by increasing the amount of nutrients the body can use.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
          Well one of the ways steroids work is by increasing the amount of nutrients the body can use.
          True.

Have you ever played with your protein intake? As in some days less or more?

I've been playing around with my fats quite a bit. But I do keep my protein within what I need

Comment

Yea I used to try and get like 300-350 grams. Just led to a bloated stomach. I now get 250 grams per day which is a bit more than a gram per lb of bodyweight.

Comment

Idk but I found that i benefit more when increasing my protein intake on cycle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Steroids increase protein synthesis (duh) take in more protein and recover faster. I take in about 250-300g. Not the 1g per bw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

yea if you read the whole article its just talk about how there isn't much actual science on the subject. but yea as we know by real world experience your not gonna blow up on 50 grams of protein per day.

Comment

Working...
                  X