Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Primal Instinct
    Hey YJ,

How much affect do COX-2 inhibitors actually have on protein synthesis? Does it severely limit it or does it just slow down synthesis? In other words, will it negate protein intake during bulking or cutting cycles? I am currently taking naproxen 500 mg 2x ED but not for extended periods- only to relieve some localized wrist & hip pain occasionally- sometimes for up to a week, depending upon the severity of the temperature outside. Thanks. ;)
    Depending on various factors, it could be significant or irrelevant. I have searched the pro's and con's of aspirin (and many other COX-2 inhibitors for that matter) and concluded that the con's far outweigh the pro's. Any limitations on protein synthesis is too much for me. The benfits of aspirin do not outweigh any effects on protein synthesis.

A situation like your's is a different story however.... your's is basically unpreventable. I would say consume a solid amount of protein and pray for hte best :)

Comment

I hear ya, YJ. Thanks ;)

Comment

Originally posted by YellowJacket
        I have studies and Ive posted the full length layman's explaination on why its useless, but to make a long story short, aspirin is a COX-2 inhibitor and through a few pathways inhibits protein synthesis, which is obviously not what you want, especially when cutting.
        Alright bro, I am not questioning you because i know, you know your shit. I was on another board and was talking to some other dude, who i think knows his shit.

He said "well lets see.... protein synthesis only occurs in your small intestine…..therefore aspirin plays no role in this...people misinterpt studies all the time....what happens is aspirins can cause you to have an ulcer...but an ulcer only effects your large intestine, it doesn’t effect you’re your small intestine where protein digested......now where people misinterpret the info is the fact that an ulcer itself can make it hard to digest food in general...but if you don’t have an ulcer or prone to them it doesn’t effect protein synthesis to the point where you lose its potency....shit man…the majority of protein people use you shit out anyways….people should be more worried about getting tri peptide protein for better protein synthesis then worrying about aspirin and its effect IMO

What should be my response? Or is he partially right?

Comment

That was the most elementary answer I have ever read. That has nothing to do with the interuption of various pathways and signals the body uses to begin protein synthesis.

Comment

aspirin, combined with ephedrine (not nor- though the impact may be similar), is helpful in some population subsets. from the research those population tend to be mostly obese women. Believe that it was due to gene variant, though have not read the study in quite a while.

Comment

Originally posted by macro
              aspirin, combined with ephedrine (not nor- though the impact may be similar), is helpful in some population subsets. from the research those population tend to be mostly obese women. Believe that it was due to gene variant, though have not read the study in quite a while.
              Finally, Macro and YJ agree on something,

Comment

Working...
              X