Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicotine as a stimulant?

YJ any thoughts about this?

Was reading some old posts on another board where someone was talking about popping a piece of Nicorette Gum before a workout to use as a stimulant. Since they didn't smoke they said it worked well to give them an extra "boost".

Thoughts?

The primary means of action of nicotine is via nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChrs). Then their sub-units, alpha2,7 and beta 2,4. The Alpha4Beta2 is the primary binding factor for nicotine. While nicotine is considered a stimulant, its obvious by its receptor biased that its not going to give the same stimulant effects as say ephedrine or even caffeine.

As for the post, Ive never heard of anyone taking it for a pre-workout boost, I cant imagine how it would give a great enough 'energy' rush to have any benefit. Nicotine is very commonly used during diet as its probably the best appetite suppressant you can find. However, regardless of gum or cigarette, its comparably addictive.

Nicotine also maximizes the effects of
    leptin, dopamine and seratonin, making it even more appealing while dieting.

Comment

so i could potentially get addicted to chewing the gum?

i'm curious if i chewed it for contest prep - how long it would take addiction to "set in"....

Comment

You certainly could. I know people who began chewing the gum to get off cigarettes and now cannot due without the gum. If youve never smoked before and youre 25+ years old, I would think you could chew the gum pre-contest without getting addicted. Of course, body chemistry differs, so thats only an unprofessional opinion

Comment

Working...
        X