Need Help Gaining Weight!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Gaining Weight!

I was wondering if there was anything I could possibly take to help gain weight. I'm 19 years old and weight about 135 and wish to weigh more around the 150 mark. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Eat 6 regular small meals a day (high protein, low fat, low carbs -simple carbs only post workout), take protein shakes and eat the right kinds of foods. Small gains over a long period are better than large gains over a short period (this usually means you're getting fat!). I was once gaining weight on a weight-gainer, put on nearly 14 pounds in a month; this was accompanied by waist increase of 1-2 inches. Stay away from these high-carb shakes, unless you want to get fat, and stick with protein shakes.

Comment

I agree with most of Face's info but for myself, I have to eat more carbs to gain any weight. During mass gaining times, I eat about 500gms of carbs every day (divided into 9meals) and still never get above 10%bf. The important thing about the carbs is that you focus on good quality (low GI) carbs that your body can use more effectively-things like brown rice, sweet potatoes, whole grains, vegetables, some fruits.

At your age, with the right eating and right training, 15lbs should be no problem. Don't rush it though-patience is important to putting on lean muscle mass.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BBAddict
        [B]The important thing about the carbs is that you focus on good quality (low GI) carbs that your body can use more effectively-things like brown rice, sweet potatoes, whole grains, vegetables, some fruits.

Could not have said it better myself. Dont forget adequate rest is vital as well. Supplements have their place, but that is all they are. Post your stats, training program, diet, how long you have trained, age, etc..

PD

Comment

I disagree with all of the above. At 19 and 135, your metabolism is literally through the roof. Ig you eat a high protein, low carb, low fat diet, this means the majority of your macronutrients are protein, which isnt going to put on much weight, if any at all. At 135, your diet should be high protein, high carb and high fat. Eat like its your job.

See this thread: http://www.superiormuscle.com/vbulle...=&threadid=411

and find your basal metabolic rate. This will be a huge help in knowing roughly how many calories you need to gain. Stick with healthy fats (flax oil, fish oil, medium chain triglycerides, etc.). For the most part, stick with complex carbs, but dont be afraid of some higher glycemic carbs. I agree rest is key and so is pre-sleep nutrition. Make sure you're having an adequate shake/meal befoe bed.

MAke sure your training is in line as well, it plays a huge part in how successful your gains are.

Comment

Originally posted by YellowJacket
            I disagree with all of the above. At 19 and 135, your metabolism is literally through the roof. Ig you eat a high protein, low carb, low fat diet, this means the majority of your macronutrients are protein, which isnt going to put on much weight, if any at all. At 135, your diet should be high protein, high carb and high fat. Eat like its your job.
            MAke sure your training is in line as well, it plays a huge part in how successful your gains are.
            Alright YJ I see what you mean about his weight and age. He can eat worse than say me, I am used to telling everyone to eat clean. I would still like to see his stats. I wanted to see his training routine that is why I ask for stats

PD

Comment

Agreed... but at 135 at 19, I cant imagine his body fat being higher than 8-9%.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and I appreciate them all but I have something for YellowJacket, I eat all the time literally but just not the foods you described so maybe I'll follow up on the advice wisely. As for stats, I work out once in a great while and don't have any kind of diet, just basically I eat what I eat. I know and understand that those two would be HUGE help to gaining weight but I'm just not that focus on lifting weighs with my crazy life schedule. However if I really want to do this I'm going to try my best into succeding this.

Comment

Yeah, 19 and 135, I wouldn't worry too much about getting fat. If you add bulk to your frame I think you would be so happy with it that you wouldn't even notice your stomach smoothing out slightly. When I was your age I went from 165 to 195 in a couple of months lifting the basic big lifts just 3 days a wk. I think the big thing for me was drinking a gallon of milk a day, usually chocolate. I just ate whatever I wanted, just so I ate something decent every 3 hrs. At your age keep it simple, eat and get your rest. Good luck.

Comment

I'd say worry more about eating actual food rather than supplementing and get a good routine going

Comment

Working...
                    X