No Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Idea

I have been weight lifting for a a couple of months. I will be turning 16 in a month. I know that most people recommend not to take supplements under 16. Could someone just give me some suggestions on a supplement or two?

Food is the most anabolic substance you can use. Eat high protein, high fiber (protein can give you the skitters) and just try to eat healthy other than that.

Eat a good breakfast, good lunch, a snack before lifting, a whey protein shake after you lift, eat dinner and then a snack before bed.

Comment

i agree with shortz... but i dont think creatine will do any harm either

Comment

I read somewhere that you shouldn't use creatine until your 18. Is that true?

Comment

^^^Not that I know of. There may be some concervative docs that have come up with theoretical reasons not to use it until someonme is 18, but, if you are not predisposed to any kidney or liver problems, then don't worry about it.

Comment

if youve only been lifting for a couple months i dont really see a need for creatine just yet. for such a new lifter, i definetly stress GOOD NUTRITION. just like shortz said. once you get your diet on track, youll make huge gains, then you can think about further supplementation.

Comment

Yeah hold off you should see some pretty descent gains naturally being a novice

Comment

Set up a cot in the nutritional forum and live in there for a while. Read, read, read. Also, while high protein is necessary for growth, don't go overboard with it either. The body can only utilize about 50 grams of protein per meal at a time anyhow and after that, it's just overkill. Try to spread out your food intake throughout the day on an even caloric basis and get plenty of rest at night. Welcome to the board!

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Instinct
                  . The body can only utilize about 50 grams of protein per meal at a time anyhow and after that, it's just overkill.
                  This statement has not been proven. Not to mention, everyone is different and each person, depending on many things, can utilize different amounts.

For someone starting off, sure, i would recommend 50g being a good place to stay around, but to make the earlier statement, I do not agree with.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Instinct
                    The body can only utilize about 50 grams of protein per meal at a time anyhow and after that, it's just overkill.

Incorrect.

As for supplements at 16, there are none. Eat like its your job.

Comment

I have to hand it to you buddy, you seem to be starting the right way---Asking and learning, and as said earlier--read-read-read. Most young men, teenagers, that come to this board are looking for the "magic pill". Obviously you plan on doing it the right way, and that's great to see. Hard work? YES. Worth it? YES. We're proud of you. BB

Comment

Originally posted by bonebreaker
                        I have to hand it to you buddy, you seem to be starting the right way---Asking and learning, and as said earlier--read-read-read. Most young men, teenagers, that come to this board are looking for the "magic pill". Obviously you plan on doing it the right way, and that's great to see. Hard work? YES. Worth it? YES. We're proud of you. BB
                        :agree:

Comment

Originally posted by shortz
                          This statement has not been proven. Not to mention, everyone is different and each person, depending on many things, can utilize different amounts.

For someone starting off, sure, i would recommend 50g being a good place to stay around, but to make the earlier statement, I do not agree with.

Fair enough. I agree that each person's physiology is somewhat different to a point. Does anyone have any credible studies to indicate approximately how much IS processed by the body at one sitting? This is a heavily disputed issue, I know.

I think that the 50 grams of protein was a good guideline for him to consider as a starting point in his nutritional plan. Perhaps I should have just stated that he take in approximately 1.5 - 2 grams of protein per pound of his bodyweight.

Comment

Does that mean I should take in 1.5 to 2 grams of Protein per pound over the course of the day?

Comment

Originally posted by football89
                              Does that mean I should take in 1.5 to 2 grams of Protein per pound over the course of the day?
                              yeah, spread it out evenly across 6-8 meals. have whey protein immediately following your workout, also.

Comment

Working...
                              X