Track athlete curious about Epovar..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track athlete curious about Epovar..

hey YJ a friend of mine who runs the 400m in track and field asked me about the product from Fizogen called epovar that is supposed to help with increasing endurance levels when running. You know anything about it bro? thanks

Magnesium and magnesium orotate have both been shown to be significantly depleted during endurance activities. I really am hesitant to back a product and recommend its use to endurance athletes, for the fact that it almost is like a sleeping pill and it begins to become relied upon. You have to teach yourself and condition yourself to compete at your highest level, and also nutrition and glycogen super-compensation is a key as well.

But I will admit this product is worth a try.... magnesium and magnesium orotate supplementation could indeed be influential to performance, especially if cost is not in mind. For example:

Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 1998 Sep;12 Suppl 2:197-202.

On the significance of magnesium in extreme physical stress.

Golf SW, Bender S, Gruttner J.

Institute of Clinical Chemistry and Pathobiochemistry, University Medical School, Justus-Liebig-University, Giessen, Germany.

In a double-blind randomized study, 23 competitive triathletes competing in an event consisting of a 500-meter swim, a 20-km bicycle race, and a 5-km run were studied after 4-week supplementation with placebo or 17 mmol/d Mg orotate. The tests were carried out without a break. Blood was collected before and after the test, and between the different events for assaying energy stress and membrane metabolism. Swimming, cycling, and running times decreased in the Mg-orotate group compared with the controls. Serum glucose concentration increased 87% during the test in the control group and 118% in the Mg-orotate group, while serum insulin increased 39% in the controls and decreased 65% in the Mg-orotate group. Venous O2 partial pressure increased 126% during the test in the controls and increased 208% in the Mg-orotate group. Venous CO2 partial pressure after the bicycle race decreased 66% (significantly) in the Mg-orotate group compared with 74% in the controls. Blood proton concentration decreased to 90% in the Mg-orotate group (significantly) compared with 98% in the controls. Blood leukocyte count increased from 5.92/nL to 11.0/nL in the controls and from 5.81/nL to 9.10/nL in the Mg-orotate group, a significant difference. Serum cortisol was lower in the Mg-orotate group before and after the test compared with the controls. CK catalytic concentration after the test was elevated 140% in the controls compared with 122% Mg-orotate group. The stress-induced modifications of energy and hormone metabolism described in this study indicate altered glucose utilization after Mg-Orotate supplementation and a reduced stress response without affecting competitive potential.

Only a couple downfalls to this type of supplement:

1. Cost. Its not cost effective at all. If you have the extra cash, go for it, but the average athlete wont purachse the product since its not an attractive price.

2. How much will it really increase performance? From the several studies I have on my computer, its not going to shave minutes off your time, its only a slight increase in performance.

Magnesium citrate is also an option. Im not sure if Epovar is any different from simply supplementing with an OTC magnesium supplement, but if your buddy decides to give it a shot, let me know the results.

YJ

Comment

This reply is exactly why I come to you for answers - you're the best at this type of stuff. I for one had no idea what to tell him about this supplement since it is for endurance, but your answer definately hit the nail on the head. He wants to give it a try so ill report to him what you said and let you know on the results even though it may be a while. Thanks bro.

Comment

Working...
      X