Muscle maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle maintenance

I'm gonna be doing a week of bike riding on average about 70miles/day. (not motorcycle--more like Lance Armstrong!) I'm dreading this cause I'm sure I'll lose some muscle mass doing that much cardio. I know most of us are more bodybuilding nutrition experts, but I know some of you know a load about nutrition and the biology of muscle repair and refueling. So I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions regarding what supplements and or foods to take to continuously refuel muscles to minimize catabolic processes during super-extended cardio sessions.

As a side note, I know dextrose/malto is the best form of carbs for refueling glycogen to the muscles PWO. Is there any solid food that does a similar job of providing glycogen directly to the muscles as opposed to the liver? Or is it just better to take supplements that aid in directing the glycogen to muscles??

Sorry about the multiple questions in one thread but they're related I think!

I've completed 4 triathlons in my past and I experimented with everything pertaining to energy drinks and endurance foods. Listed below are the items that I found to be the best in my experiences.

I have found that Cytosport's Cytogainer was very good after a long cardio session. I found that I could take a serving (600 cals: 80 grams of carbs (mostly maltodextrin) along with around 40 grams of protein) and it would kill my craving for something really bad. Now granted you just burned a TON of calories and can most likely afford to eat something with some hair on it, you'll want to be diligent and stick to eating clean. You have to position your body strategically with good nutrition so you can do it again the next day. Since you'll be on a bike and have the ability to carry around some food items, I highly recommend Cliff Bars. I've found that Cliff Bars are very fast absorbing and are like magic when it comes to quickly refueling the tank. I used to carry around a few gel packs as well, but avoid those that contain caffeine in the early goings. Taking in too much caffeine in the early stages of a long cardio session will result in faster exhaustion and you'll find yourself needing to urinate faster than usual (you want to retain as much water as you can for as long as you can!). Power Bar makes a gel pack that contains caffeine and one that does not. I used to take in those that didn't contain caffeine in the early goings and used the ones that contained caffeine for the home stretch when I really needed it.

I HIGHLY recommend eating a meal before you go to bed the night before that's very high in carbs, specifically something that contains a good deal of pasta. Then, in the morning if possible, eat something that contains lots of carbs, very little protein and avoid dairy at all cost. Pancakes are a great idea if you have the availability. I'd eat a good deal of carbs a few hours before you get started. Not too close to your start time, though, because you'll find your body using its energy in digesting your meal rather than using it for the right reasons.

I'm assuming that you'll be wearing a camel back or something along those lines, and if so, you may want to consider mixing in a sports drink like powder in your drink holder/camel back for the added calories in your hydration efforts. When you're on a bike for that long, water is great and all, but you'll begin daydreaming about anything that contains a taste to it. Cytosport's Cytomax is very good. (No - I am not Cytosport's spokesperson, even though it's beginning to sound like it!)

Those are really the things that I would focus on. If you have anymore questions, let me know and I'll be more than happy to answer them. I know exactly what you're thinking and feeling going into this event, and to tell you the truth, it may test your character like you've never tested it before, but you'll walk away from this event with a new respect for those like Lance Armstrong!

Good luck,
    David

Comment

I would eat a meal containing a bunch of low GI carbs (like oatmeal) 2 hours before you start riding then sip on some BCAA while you are riding. Personally I would go with Scivation's Xtend (BCAA+Glutamine+Citrulline Malate). The BCAA would decrease protein breakdown, the glutamine would be used for gluconeogenesis, and the citrulline malate would improve your performance by increase aerobic ATP production.

Comment

Working...
      X