beginner needs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beginner needs help

Hows it going guys, im relatively new to the working out to get big thing, but have always been in good shape and people tell me I have a good frame to build on, but for some reason I just cant get big when working out. Im in the gym 2-3 hours a day 5x a week doing full body exercises. Recently I bought a tub of GNC 48oz Whey protein tub and wondering if that will help do the trick of getting bigger, fuller muscles. Im also hoping that the use of this supplement wont cause acne, but im not sure thats a side effect. Im coming to you guys because im out of ideas and wondering if someone can steer me in the right direction of what supplements to use and what the side effects are. Thanks guys, Tom.

A few questions--

1. How old are you?
    2. How long have you been training?
    3. How would oyu rate your diet?

The reason I ask these is... (1) if youre late teens, early twenties your gains will come in a flourish and many, if any, supplements arent needed. (2). If you have only been training for a short period of time, the above applies here as well. You can gain a good bit of strength, etc. just from the neurological response. (3). Well let's face it, if your diet sucks, you can use $500 a month worth of supplements and you'll still be in phase one.

As for your purchase, it was a sound one. Im not a big fan of GNC for their overpriced products, but since this is your 1st post, Im sure youre not quite yet familiar with online ordering and how much $$ you really do save. Acne is not a side effect of protein, in fact whey has no serious side effects other than the occassional protein fart or maybe some gastric irritation.

Get back to me (us) with the answers to those questions and we can enlighten you further.

YJ

Comment

Originally posted by YellowJacket
      A few questions--

1. How old are you?
      A:19
      2. How long have you been training?
      A: a few months, but just started to get very serious about it
      3. How would oyu rate your diet?
      A: on a scale of 1-10 id say 8...i always try to eat healthy, ie..salads, meats, cheese. Not a lot of bread tho or cereal. I try to stay away from saturated fats and such. Im not ultra picky tho...I eat like a normal teen would minus the flury of trips to mcdonalds and. Im 6'0 and weigh 180.

Thanks, Tom

Comment

Originally posted by nybsbl04
        Thanks, Tom

Thanks for the reply...

At 19, and recently introduced to training, I would stick with whey protein post workout for awhile, and not introduce any creatines, etc. until you really start to plateau. By plateau I dont mean youve been doing the same amount of weight non your bench press for 3 weeks, I mean when youve altered your diet, altered your training style, increased rest, etc. several times and still cannot get results. At this point, which is still a good ways down the road, you may want to consider just regular old monohydrate. Sure there are better, fancier creatines out there, but at your age and training experience, save yourself some $$ because youre going to get the same results from monohydrate creatine as one of the fancy ones.

Your best bet is to head to the nutrition section, make a thread of your daily intake and let us help you alter it and improve it to maximize your gains.... I assume youre wanting to bulk up? Give this thread a look and see what you come up with, this will make any and all goals you have a lot easier: http://www.superiormuscle.com/vbulle...wjacket+BMR%2A

Comment

wow...thanks man...and to think, all I used this forum was to look at the xxx pics. A true diamond.

Also, I should probably eat a bit healthier than I already am. I forgot to mention I eat a lot of fish and rice and pasta as well.

Should I consume the whey before working out too, or just after.

-Tom

Comment

It sounds like you have a great base diet, which is rare for someone 19 years of age.....

You can have some whey pre-workout as well... as a matter of fact, take about 1 scoop and throw some some oats in it and drink it aout 20 minutes before you train, then straight whey and wtaer (and some dextrose if youd like) post workout.

Comment

It sounds like you have a great base diet, which is rare for someone 19 years of age.....

You can have some whey pre-workout as well... as a matter of fact, take about 1 scoop and throw some some oats in it and drink it aout 20 minutes before you train, then straight whey and wtaer (and some dextrose if youd like) post workout.
              Btw...I did that thing in the link and my rate is 3253.8 (I didnt know my LBM, so i used weight and converted to KG). Is 3253.8 good or not?

And this may sound stupid, but when you say oats...what is something good to get, does it come as a brand or is it already mixed in another supplement.. And what is dextrose (sorry im just new at this), once again, does it come as a brand or is it already mixed in another supplement.

Thanks, Tom

Comment

Btw...I did that thing in the link and my rate is 3253.8 (I didnt know my LBM, so i used weight and converted to KG). Is 3253.8 good or not?[/b]

There isnt a good or bad answer, that number is simply the amount of calories a day that it takes your body to maintain your current bodyweight. So for example if you wanted to GAIN weight, then you would have to eat around ~350 calories OVER that number each day, that way youre in a calorie surplus, which equates to weight gain. Its good to know that number so you know right around how many calories need to take in each day to either gain or lose weight.

And this may sound stupid, but when you say oats...what is something good to get, does it come as a brand or is it already mixed in another supplement.
                Nope, just regular ol' oats. You really dont want the packaged oats, those are loaded with sugar, but if its pre-workout, its not that big of a deal, but just buy a large bag of oatmeal from the store (which is very inexpensive) and add about 1/3 a cup to your shakes.

And what is dextrose (sorry im just new at this), once again, does it come as a brand or is it already mixed in another supplement.

Dextrose is sugar. Its a simple form of sugar (glucose) and is used in bodybuilding for a couple reasons..

1. sugar intake increases the insulin response and insulin is the hormone that is involved in nutrient transport. So when you take in that protein and dextrose with it, or creatine for example, the insulin response from the dextrose will essentially help push those amino acids from the protein and creatine into your cells, which is where you want them

2. Located inside the muscles is glycogen, which is the stored form of glucose and remember glucose is simply sugar. When you train hard and heavy, your muscles give up some of that glycogen stores for energy, so after you train, its is crucial to replace that glycogen for proper growth and its very easy to do this, and thats by consuming maltodextrin or dextrose.

There are not stupid questions, and remember, we were all new at one time...

YJ

Comment

There isnt a good or bad answer, that number is simply the amount of calories a day that it takes your body to maintain your current bodyweight. So for example if you wanted to GAIN weight, then you would have to eat around ~350 calories OVER that number each day, that way youre in a calorie surplus, which equates to weight gain. Its good to know that number so you know right around how many calories need to take in each day to either gain or lose weight.
                  YJ
                  Is there anywhere where I can nutrition facts for stuff like packaged raw chicken breasts, burgers, and pork chops, etc? Id like to know how many calories they are so im not just guessing. And thanks again YJ, in most forums, asking this many questions would just get the reply "SEARCH," so thanks for taking time to answer my questions. Very appriciated.

Comment

Is there anywhere where I can nutrition facts for stuff like packaged raw chicken breasts, burgers, and pork chops, etc? Id like to know how many calories they are so im not just guessing. And thanks again YJ, in most forums, asking this many questions would just get the reply "SEARCH," so thanks for taking time to answer my questions. Very appriciated.

Try www.fitday.com - its free to register and has an invaluable amouont of nutrient information on about anything you can think of. For very specific foods, try their website, for example, if you want to know how many calories are in a bag of Planters almonds, try www.planters.com, etc.

No problem on answering your questions, I remember when I began and you are already far mroe advanced than I was at 19..... best of luck....

Comment

Here is a link to the Dextrose I use - it is a good site for other supplements as well...

Dextrose -

http://powernutrition.net/product_in...eb9f4ad1263bb7

Whey Protein - Normal Daily Use -

Casein Protein - Most People Recommend it as your nightcap shake if you are looking at gaining weight as it is a slow release protein -

Other than that - I agree with YJ on keeping it simple K.I.S.S.

Good Luck and post gains...

:D

Comment

YJ is very smart, listen to him and you will do just fine!

Comment

Originally posted by fog_hat1981
                          Here is a link to the Dextrose I use - it is a good site for other supplements as well...

Dextrose -

Whey Protein - Normal Daily Use -

Casein Protein - Most People Recommend it as your nightcap shake if you are looking at gaining weight as it is a slow release protein -

Other than that - I agree with YJ on keeping it simple K.I.S.S.

Good Luck and post gains...

:D
                          Im happy with my weight...I just have some flab that id love to turn into muscle....whats the best way to get my abs tight in the shortest amount of time. Whenever I do crunches, i do them on an incline but they are always sore for a few days after.

Comment

Im happy with my weight...I just have some flab that id love to turn into muscle....whats the best way to get my abs tight in the shortest amount of time. Whenever I do crunches, i do them on an incline but they are always sore for a few days after.
                            Some people don't believe in a strict ab workout - instead they believe in strict diets. I am not saying you need to neglect your abs but you have to get your bodyfat down to around 8%10% before you even show much definition in this area anyways.

Post your diet and we can help you with how to achieve your goals. I noticed that you rated your diet at an 8 and am anxious to see what you are eating to have a diet rating of an 8. Little changes in your diet can help a great deal with overall body development and bodyfat percentages.

As for the Casein Protein - it doesn't neccesarily have to be used for Weight Gain but it is good for those times when you are not able to take in much for one reason or another (also, don't forget, if you are eating 7-8 times a day every 2-3 hours and then sleeping for 8-10 hours your body isn't getting any nutrients overnight unless you are eating the right meals late at night).

Comment

Working...
                            X