Ginseng - any negatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ginseng - any negatives?

What are the downsides (if any) of ginseng? The only serious issue I have seen published is that it may interfere with anti-coagulants but I am not worried about that. Are there any other negatives that have been identified? What are safe daily doses?

i dont think there are to many negatives.

i did find the following on wikipedia however.

"Side effects

One of Panax ginseng's most common side-effects is the inability to sleep.[14] Other side-effects can include nausea, diarrhea, euphoria, headaches, epistaxis, high blood pressure, low blood pressure, and mastalgia.[15]

Overdose

The common adaptogen ginsengs (Panax ginseng and Panax quinquefolia) are generally considered to be relatively safe even in large amounts.

Panax ginseng is not recommended within Chinese Medicine to be administered along with anti-infective herbs unless a person is quite debilitated, because of the fear that the pathogen will be tonified. Herbalists in China believed this and according to Xu Dachun in his brief essay on ginseng (1757 A.D., during the Qing Dynasty): "if one administers Ginseng of a purely supplementing nature, then one will merely supplement the evil influences and help them settle down. In minor cases, the evil influences will, as a result of such mistaken therapy, never leave the body again. In serious cases, death is inevitable."[16]

Comment

Working...
    X