Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UFC Yoel Romero Has Proof His Failed Drug Test Was Caused By Contaminated Supplement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFC Yoel Romero Has Proof His Failed Drug Test Was Caused By Contaminated Supplement

UFC Yoel Romero claimed that he never knowingly used anabolic steroids or any other performance-enhancing drug prohibited under the UFC anti-doping policy. Like so many other athletes, he has blamed his failed drug test on the use of a contaminated dietary supplement. But unlike most other athletes who use the “contaminated supplement” excuse, Romero has proof.

Malki Kawa, the manager for Romero, joined the Cuban wrestler-turned-MMA-fighter in an appearance on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani. Kawa claimed that Romero's team identified a specific dietary supplement as the culprit and submitted it to the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA). USADA is the independent administrator of the UFC's anti-doping program.

USADA allegedly tested the supplement and the analysis confirmed the presence of a prohibited ingredient that was not disclosed on the supplement's label.

"What basically happened was, he took a certain supplement after his fight that was contaminated. It had an illegal substance in it," said Kawa. "He provided USADA with the supplement he took. When you read the label, it's a natural supplement, it's supposed to be as clean as possible. It's something anyone can take. If everything on the label would have been in there, we wouldn't be here. This particular supplement was contaminated with the product he failed for.

"The substance has a label with a bunch of stuff on it," Kawa told Helwani. "None of that is illegal to take. What he got popped for is not on the label. So it's obviously not his fault that he popped for this."

The prohibited drug in question was not a synthetic designer steroid as widely, but erroneously, reported last month. Instead, it was a diuretic according to the MMA news site ENT Imports. The name of the contaminated dietary supplement and the prohibited diuretic were kept confidential pending the results of an ongoing investigation by USADA into the matter.

Yoel Romero was hoping for a chance to fight for the title against the current UFC middleweight champion Luke Rockhold later this year. But his hopes were dashed when it was announced that Romero tested positive for a prohibited substance after his fight with Ronaldo Souza at UFC 194 in December 2015.

Instead of facing Rockhold for a tile match later this year, Romero faces up to a two-year suspension as punishment for his anti-doping violation.

If USADA is convinced that Romero did not intentionally ingest a prohibited substance, Romero can qualify for a reduction of his suspension due to “mitigating circumstances”. The UFC Anti-Doping Policy has specific section devoted to “Contaminated Products”.

“In cases where the Athlete or other Person can establish that the detected Prohibited Substance came from a Contaminated Product, then the period of Ineligibility shall be, at a minimum, a reprimand and no period of Ineligibility, and at a maximum, the period of Ineligibility set forth in Article 10.2 depending on the Athlete’s or other Person’s degree of Fault.”

The penalty for unknowingly ingesting a contaminated supplement could conceivably be limited to a reprimand. But proverbial slap on the wrist is by no means guaranteed. USADA has a strict liability policy in which athletes are always responsible for every drug found in their body even when contaminated supplements are involved.

"He did take the supplement," Kawa admitted. "If you take a supplement, you run the risk of this happening. The responsibility does fall on Yoel."

Romero agreed that he was ultimately at fault but believes a reprimand would be the fairest punishment possible.

"I think it's my responsibility when I take something,” Romero said. “But, I think maybe a public warning [would be a fair punishment]. I don't know. ... Nobody knows. When you see the supplement, outside it says it's clean, you can take it."

Regardless of what USADA decides, Romero won't be fighting Rockhold for the middleweight title any time soon. The UFC has already moved ahead with a Chris Weidman vs. Rockhold rematch at UFC 199 in June 2016.

The 38-year old Romero will have to wait a little longer for his chance to become a UFC middleweight champion.

Bullshit

But I would have liked to see him fight for the title. Guy is a stud

Comment

Working...
    X