Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PWO Whey Shake Superior To Whey + Carbs (2016 Study)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PWO Whey Shake Superior To Whey + Carbs (2016 Study)

PWO Whey Shake Superior To Whey + Carbs (2016 Study)

Study

The researchers, who work at the University of Jyvaskyla in Finland, published the results of a twelve-week study in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, in which three groups of twenty four men participated.

The men had only been training for a month with weights. They all had approximately the same diet and used an identical training scheme.

Soon after each training session the men drank a post-workout shake. One group drank a shake containing 35 g of the fast carbohydrate maltodextrin [CHO], the second group a shake containing 38 g whey concentrate [equivalent to 30 g whey protein] [Protein], and the third group a shake containing 35 g maltodextrin and 38 g whey concentrate [Protein + CHO].

At the start and end of the twelve weeks the researchers measured the body composition and strength of the subjects.

Results

All subjects built up more lean body mass [FFM] [in other words muscle mass]. But the increase was greatest in the subjects who only drank whey in the shake.

The subjects who had been given only carbohydrates lost no body fat [FM]; the subjects that had been given whey did lose body fat. The decrease in fat mass was most in the subjects who had been given whey only.

All subjects did gain strength. Their MVC and 1RM increased. There were no statistically significant differences for these between the groups.

Conclusion

The researchers are understated in their conclusions. "This first long-term study supports the acute protein balance studies showing that adding carbohydrates to postexercise protein ingestion may not have a large effect on the resistance training adaptations", they wrote in the last paragraphs of their publication.

"Whey proteins, however, increased abdominal fat loss and relative fat-free mass adaptations in response to resistance training when compared to fast acting carbohydrates."

"Therefore, if the main goal is to maximize fat loss responses to resistance training especially from abdominal area without compromising increases in muscle hypertrophy, whey protein instead of carbohydrates can be recommended for the postexercise nutrition."

Source:
    J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2015 Dec 16;12:48.

Personally I think it's BS. Especially for hormona fellas who kill it in the gym. By the time I have my shake I am literally having a hard time just standing up. There is nothing like sucking down carbs and protein to replenish the pump and energy levels. For experiments sake I will do just protein alone today and note the result.

Comment

So I tested it out. Felt like I didn't even have a shake. Usually I'm satisfied for an hour after my shake before I have my pwo meal. I was still shaking and starving 10 minutes after my shake today. I'm thinking this type of thing might be okay for a normal person doing a normal workout but not someone who is more advanced and has muscle that can really use the carbs. Back to protein and carbs for me.

Comment

To add, I can also see where it would be beneficial for fat loss. If your fat, protein only. If your low body fat and trying to out on size, protein + carbs is superior.

Comment

Maybe I'll try out protien only since I'm still too fat. I've been making slow progress but as of late has stalled a little. I think it's time to cut some carbs. I'll start this today and give it a try for a week and I've also bumped up cardio.

Comment

Working...
          X