FDA shillers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FDA shillers

So basically fda do favours, for big pharma and you can expect to see alot more of this

FDA: Massive Attack on Supplements

I'm torn to be honest. I feel like the supplement industry itself is just as bad as big pharma just in a different way.

Comment

It is kind of crazy that you or I could create a supplement in our bathtub, label it and list it for sale today on Amazon. Most people just order bulk powder from China and just package it and start a supplement company. Granted usually the active ingredients are there, but who knows what other impurities are also in there (lead, arsenic, mercury).

That's the issue I have. I can tell if something I buy works or not based on the way I feel, but I can't tell what type of toxic impurities are also in there. I really feel this way about most commercial protein powder.

Comment

The problem with the supplement industry isn't too much oversight but rather none at all.

Double blinded placebo controlled trials? Actual demonstration of efficacy? Who wants all that, when we can just cook something up in your bathtub, slap a label on it and sell it? Without any independent oversight.

Comment

The only thing the fda should do is make sure that whatever is listed on a supplements label is actually in the supplement. Supplements don't claim to do anything as is listed on every label ... "this product is not intended to treat fiagnose cure or prevent any illness".

Comment

Originally posted by TrapsBrah View Post
            The only thing the fda should do is make sure that whatever is listed on a supplements label is actually in the supplement. Supplements don't claim to do anything as is listed on every label ... "this product is not intended to treat fiagnose cure or prevent any illness".
            So if I create Whey protein powder and make it 50% Whey and 50% lead and arsenic powder, the FDA should clear it because it contains the said Whey?

Come on bro. The biggest thing the FDA gets involved with concerning pharmaceutical drugs is the dosage and the impurities. I've worked at a regulated pharma company before. The FDA does good work there keeping them honest. You've got to start thinking about the QUALITY of the things you put into your body.

Comment

Originally posted by M00chie69 View Post
              So if I create Whey protein powder and make it 50% Whey and 50% lead and arsenic powder, the FDA should clear it because it contains the said Whey?

Come on bro. The biggest thing the FDA gets involved with concerning pharmaceutical drugs is the dosage and the impurities. I've worked at a regulated pharma company before. The FDA does good work there keeping them honest. You've got to start thinking about the QUALITY of the things you put into your body.
              That's not what I said. The fda cares so much about the supplement industry and look how many people have died from supplements. Not many compare that to aspirin which kills thousands each year maybe 10s of thousands if I'm not mistaken. Also all the deadly pharmaceutical drugs that you can get with a doctors recommendation.

Comment

That's not what I said. The fda cares so much about the supplement industry and look how many people have died from supplements. Not many compare that to aspirin which kills thousands each year maybe 10s of thousands if I'm not mistaken. Also all the deadly pharmaceutical drugs that you can get with a doctors recommendation.
                Not that I agree or disagree with you but are there actual numbers about people killed by supps? I know people have definitely died from too much energy type supps like redbull or pre worktout type shit but I'm not sure there are any known numbers. They may be higher than you think.

Comment

See, you're looking at the extreme case here. It's not about if someone dies or not, it's about the quality and the purity of what you're putting into your body. Mercury or lead poisoning doesn't kill you for the most part but it affects your quality of life from that point forwards. The FDA should be there to make sure these impurities are not in the supplements. Health conscience people do not want these additional toxins put into their bodies along with the active ingredient they purchase the supplement for.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
                    Not that I agree or disagree with you but are there actual numbers about people killed by supps? I know people have definitely died from too much energy type supps like redbull or pre worktout type shit but I'm not sure there are any known numbers. They may be higher than you think.
                    True but those people are misusing them as directed. For example those Army guys that died from jack3d took a far higher dose than what was recommended on the label plus I believe they were running in the heat right after it.

"In comparison, prescription drugs are responsible for 30 times as many trips to the emergency room each year"

Dietary Supplements Lead to 20,000 E.R. Visits Yearly, Study Finds - NYTimes.com

Comment

Working...
                    X