Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protein for Dummies

Types of protein and functions:

Whey Protein Whey is the top of the pile when it comes to protein, the most popular and the most used among the proteins; 3 factors are the cause of this- affordability, effectivness and advertisment. Whey protein is a derivitive of milk and a byproduct of cheese making. When cheese is created, the milk is curdled, parting the curds and the WHEY. Remember the nursery ryme?
    Benefits of whey-
    *Contains a large quanity of immunoglobin protein which has the ability of enhancing the immune system
    *Contains the highest concentration of branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs)
    *Contains endogenous- most poerful, naturally occuring antioxidant
    * Ability to stimulate production of IGF-1 (Insulin like Growth Factor)
    *Whey is fast aborbing, quick to the muscle protein, this is why whey is so popular post workout, your body needs protein to begin repair to damaged muscles from workout as quick as possible.

Casein Protein -Forms a gel once in the digestive track/stomach to help regulate time releasing of protein. Derived from milk. This "slowing" effect aids greatly in the absorbtion of amino acids (a good thing)
    Benefits:
    *Time released to provide the muscles with amino acids for an extended period of time
    *A large content of glutamine a muscle sparing amino acid
    *Contains glucogeni amino acids which have been proven to defer muscle breakdown when exercising.

Milk-Protein Isolate - A combination of whey and casein protein, not much research has been done on this protein, but consumption of it is considered positive because of the contents of both casein and whey.

Soy Protein - Derived from plants and has never been a large part of bodybuilding. Soy protein is approximatley 70% actual protein and is considered inferior compared to whey and casein. There is a soy protein isolate out on the market and new studies have shown that this protein is very solid in the bodybuilding world
    Benefits
    *Boasts a high concentration of BCAAs
    *Includes amounts of glutamine
    *Proven to have a positive impact on the production of T-4 and T- 3 and even insulin over the various types of other proteins.
    *Helps retention of nitrogen on a small scale and promotes fatloss during low caloric diets.
    * Lowering of triglycerides and cholesterol
    *Recommended dosages are 4 servings a day at 6.25 grams per serving.

Egg Protein - Once deemed the "golden standard" of proteins, while this reputation has faded a bit, never count out this old school protein. Derived from...you guessed it...eggs
    Benefits
    *Illustrious amino acid profile
    *Provides a complete protein source
    *Conveinet and can be used in the making of baked goods, etc.

:retard:
    Last edited by ROCKETW19; 07-14-10, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Well at least the spammer bumped a useful thread. :D

Comment

Sweet, now all I need to do is get to South Africa... Maybe I'll go for the World Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby View Post
          Sweet, now all I need to do is get to South Africa... Maybe I'll go for the World Cup.
          Shibby no need to travel all the way to africa just send me 500 bucks and I'll order that shit for you.:D

Comment

Working...
          X