Vitamin C and E supplements may hinder athletes' training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamin C and E supplements may hinder athletes' training

With the 2014 Winter Olympics just around the corner, hundreds of athletes are in training for one of the most important competitions of their lives. But according to new research, they should stay away from vitamin C and E supplements if they want to do well. A study has found that these supplements may hinder endurance training.

Vitamin C and E supplements may hinder athletes' training - Medical News Today

My Editorial Comments:

This seems to be geared more to the endurance athlete, and regardless, it is probably only significant to those on the elite end of the spectrum. However, it reinforces my belief that taking supplements willy-nilly may have some adverse consequences.

Some quotes from the article worth noting:

Results of the study revealed that markers for the production of new muscle mitochondria - structures that supply power to the cells - only increased in the participants who received the placebo pill.

The investigators hypothesize that since vitamins C and E are antioxidants, high doses may take away some of the oxidative stress and block the development of muscular endurance.

m

There is" some" truth to this. You need a certain level of reactive oxygen species, or free radicals to promote mitochondrial biogenesis. I think the siimple solution would be to just ingest those antioxidant nutrients away from the proximity of training; that is, don't ingest them right after a workout that involved aerobic training. It would not affect a strictly weight workout.*

Comment

Working...
    X