Best PWO Whey Dose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best PWO Whey Dose

What is the best post workout whey dose? The answer might surprise you.

The optimum dose of whey that bodybuilders and other strength athletes can use after training is 20 grams, sports scientists at the University of Stirling in Scotland have reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

The researchers first got their 48 subjects to train their legs, doing 8 sets of 10 reps on the leg press, with 80 percent of the weight with which the subjects could just manage 1 rep. Ten minutes later the subjects were given 0, 10, 20 or 40 g whey.

Oxidation of amino acids increased dramatically when anything above 20 grams of whey was ingested. The Brits deduce from this that the body starts to burn amino acids at doses of whey above 20 g.

They saw the same effect in the concentration of urea in the body. Urea is protein that has been broken down and that the body has no more use for, except for excreting it in the urine. The concentration of urea in the blood increased sharply in the subjects that were given 40 g whey.

"It remains unknown whether the optimal dose of protein for the maximal stimulation of muscle protein synthesis differs between the 120-kg athlete and 80-kg male exerciser compared with the 60-kg female exerciser", the researchers write. "Future studies should be designed to fully elucidate how muscle mass or the amount of muscle mass exercised influences the response of MPS to different doses of protein."

Source: Am J Clin Nutr. 2014 Jan;99(1):86-95.

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard 5 Pounds Amazon

For anyone that might not grasp what this is saying. According to the study, anything above 20 grams of protein the body breaks down instead of using it to repair and build up muscle tissue.

However, I have a hunch that this does not apply to steroid/PED users. I also have a hunch that this is a genetic thing as well as a body mass thing. The Rock for example is probably going to use more protein naturally than pee wee herman would.

I think for big guys on AAS the optimal dose would be around 40-50 grams PWO. Natural guys around 30 grams. Bouncer science via experience is my source. :D

Comment

I call bs on the study. i keep my shakes between 50-60 consistently twice a day. Since i started that ive seen a difference. what i would like to know is if these people actually train on a regular basis. even if theyre not on aas, an active person is probably able to utilize more than the average joe. Big Ronnie took 100g pwo :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
        For anyone that might not grasp what this is saying. According to the study, anything above 20 grams of protein the body breaks down instead of using it to repair and build up muscle tissue.

However, I have a hunch that this does not apply to steroid/PED users. I also have a hunch that this is a genetic thing as well as a body mass thing. The Rock for example is probably going to use more protein naturally than pee wee herman would.

I think for big guys on AAS the optimal dose would be around 40-50 grams PWO. Natural guys around 30 grams. Bouncer science via experience is my source. :D
        I'd say that's a good assumption bro. I'm sure these studies are NOT done with people who train and if they did, well I'm almost positive they don't take PEDs and train like us.

I do like the bro science :thumb:

Originally posted by BamBam179 View Post
        what i would like to know is if these people actually train on a regular basis. even if theyre not on aas
        :agreed:

Comment

There are so many conflicting studies on this topic. Some say you can take in large amounts of protein at once because it takes so long for the protein to go through your digestive tract and it's being absorbed and processed as it goes. Others like this study say the extra goes to waste. I can see how both sides believe but don't know what to believe myself.

Comment

Originally posted by AvidFisherman View Post
            There are so many conflicting studies on this topic. Some say you can take in large amounts of protein at once because it takes so long for the protein to go through your digestive tract and it's being absorbed and processed as it goes. Others like this study say the extra goes to waste. I can see how both sides believe but don't know what to believe myself.
            I think it's more fast vs slow protein no? Can only use so much whey cause it digests so quick. A steak however your body has a lot more time to utilize the protein.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
              I think it's more fast vs slow protein no? Can only use so much whey cause it digests so quick. A steak however your body has a lot more time to utilize the protein.
              There probably is a a point of diminished returns like most things. Just seems like the more muscle you have the more protein you can utilize

Comment

I will respectfully say this article does not apply to bodybuilders and powerlifters. Postworkout shake is still considered a meal and should be counted toward your calorie intake.

This article also fails to recognize the postworkout carb intake used to spike the insulin so your body can absorb more efficiently.

With that being said, 20g may be alright for the average person. However, we're in a different category. I personally ingest 20g of dextrose and 60g of protein postworkout. Worst comes to worst, my body uses what it can and ditches the rest

Comment

Originally posted by BamBam179 View Post
                  There probably is a a point of diminished returns like most things. Just seems like the more muscle you have the more protein you can utilize
                  Agree.

Comment

I'd be interested in seeing if the subjects were conditioned or tested over a longer period of time. A single test of protein uptake and urea excretion in untrained adults isn't going to really prove anything.

They would need a control group for each category, untrained male, trained male, etc...and for different weight classes.

Comment

Working...
                    X