X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is Phenibut?

The Drug That Big Lenny Made Popular. :D

by Anthony Roberts

Phenibut is analog of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), which acts as the main inhibitory neurotransmitter in the central nervous system, where it reduces neuronal excitability. If you’re thinking that this makes phenibut a depressant, you’re correct. But it’s also a nootropic, or cognition enhancer.

Although GABA (a major neurotransmitter in the human body) is technically an amino acid and legal for sale in the United States as a dietary supplement, phenibut has an additional phenyl ring (which is where we get the name, as a combination of phenyl and butric). The addition of the phenyl ring allows phenibut to do something GABA does not, i.e. penetrate the blood–brain barrier. However, this improved penetration of the blood-brain barrier does not lead to stronger pharmacological effects.

As a result, of not being an a botanical, a vitamin, mineral, herb or other botanical, and even granting GABA status as an amino, phenibut has been modified and therefore wouldn’t fit the definition of a legal and compliant dietary supplement in the United States. So while there are several amino acids that are legal for sale as dietary supplements besides GABA (glutamate,aspartate, D-serine, and glycine, for example), phenibut is not one of them.

In Russia, where most of the clinical research on phenibut was originally done, it’s sold as a drug. Specifically, it would fall into the category of being a gabapentinoid, a class of drugs that work on the gabapentin receptors to block certain receptors that in turn produces effects similar to classic CNS depressants. Gabapentinoids, including phenibut, are used clinically for anxiety, migranes, mania, bipolar, and a host of psychological disorders.

Here, I’m going to break with tradition and say that although the available data on phenibut suffers from many of the major flaws (clustering, lack of statistical power, a focus on treating pathological states, etc…) that we have seen with other purported nootropics, I can say that phenibut is an effective sleep aid for me, and that it additionally seems to potentiate the next-day effects of other nootropics or stimulants I might use the following day.

At this point I should mention that many gabapentinoids (notably gabapentin, sold under the trade name Neurontin) have suicide and suicidal ideation listed as a potential side effect. And I should probably mention that addiction is possible with this class of drugs, phenibut included, and it also appears that (at least in rodents) the sedative effects rapidly attenuate (injecting 50 mg/kg twice daily for five days results in tolerance. A quick online search reveals numerous horror stories in terms of both addiction and attenuation.

Still, acute doses of phenibut have been observed to produce numerous central effects. At doses that do not affect motor activity inhibits food conditioned reflexes in mice. At higher doses it reduces motor activity, coordination, and body temperature. It also potentiates central effects of anesthetics, so there’s obviously quite a few reasons to be cautious with this drug…

Nootropic (cognition enhancing) activity has been observed in rodents with fairly small doses (5 to 20 mg/kg injected)…since it’s about 65% orally bioavailable, and using a standard human equivalency dose for the rodent model, we aren’t talking about huge doses for this kind of effect (granting the premise that the rodent data applies to humans). That being said, most people use a starting dose of 500mgs and explore higher doses until they reach 2,000 to 3,000mgs/day (the latter being too high, in my estimation). Personally, I’ve never used it for more than a couple of days in a row, and always within an hour of going to bed. I find my sweet spot to be around a gram (1,000mgs).

Finally, I realize that some people have relied on its tranquilizing effect to get a sedative-type high…but that’s not my preference in terms of using phenibut, so I can’t speak to that aspect. When I take it, I’m taking it to get some sleep, not to get high.

References:

• Lapin, I. (2001). “Phenibut (beta-phenyl-GABA): A tranquilizer and nootropic drug” (pdf). CNS Drug Reviews. 7 (4): 471–481. PMID 11830761. doi:10.1111/j.1527-3458.2001.tb00211.x.
    • Mehilane LS, Rago LK, Allikmets LH. Pharmacology and clinic of phenibut. Tartu: Izd. TGU, 1990 (English summary).
    • Nelson, LS (2008). “Phenibut Withdrawal – A Novel ‘Nutritional Supplement'”. Clinical Toxicology. 46 (7): 605. doi:10.1080/15563650802255033
    • Mehilane LS, Rago LK, Allikmets LH. Pharmacology and clinic of phenibut. Tartu: Izd. TGU, 1990 (in
    • Russian with English summary).
    • Kovaleva, E. L. (1984). “Comparative characteristics of the nootropic action of fenibut and fepiron”. Farmakologiia i toksikologiia. 47 (1): 20–23. PMID 6705902.

https://www.amazon.com/Bulksupplemen...=phenibut&th=1

Sounds like Serotonin–norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors*(SNRIs), also known as*serotonin–noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors... I was on these for years... best fucking meds I ever took... I felt normal as fuck, but miss a dose and you will have the worst brain zaps

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

The somatomax I take every night has it in. I don't know how much but I do know if I don't take it I won't sleep at all. Good and bad. It helps but my body is dependent on it.

Comment

Originally posted by boricuarage79 View Post
        Sounds like Serotonin–norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors*(SNRIs), also known as*serotonin–noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors... I was on these for years... best fucking meds I ever took... I felt normal as fuck, but miss a dose and you will have the worst brain zaps

That's an anti depression med no?

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post
          That's an anti depression med no?
          Correct, but they are different than SSRI's... These are the newer meds and targets Gaba receptors as well

Comment

Correct, but they are different than SSRI's... These are the newer meds and targets Gaba receptors as well

like gabapentin but i dont think thats new.

Comment

like gabapentin but i dont think thats new.
              So he saying it's a fucked up drug?

Comment

Originally posted by Chadd77 View Post
                The somatomax I take every night has it in. I don't know how much but I do know if I don't take it I won't sleep at all. Good and bad. It helps but my body is dependent on it.
                Is that a GH supplement?

Comment

Is that a GH supplement?

That's how it's marketed. But the theory behind that is the deeper sleep the more GH is released. Even with it I only get maybe 4 hours a night.

Comment

Even with it I only get maybe 4 hours a night.
                    have you seen a doc about it? consistent lack of sleep is actually pretty dangerous bro. all kinds of health risks. one of the main causes of seizures in healthy people is lack of sleep. some college football coach recently had a seizure and the cause was determined to be lack of sleep only 3-4 hours per night.

Comment

Funny you ask, I'm seeing my doc this Thursday about doing a sleep study. I've tried everything. Even strong sleep meds didn't help. Every so often I actually get a decent nights sleep and I feel incredible the next day. lol I've learned to deal with it. I'm hoping that the study shows something that's fixable.

Comment

Funny you ask, I'm seeing my doc this Thursday about doing a sleep study. I've tried everything. Even strong sleep meds didn't help. Every so often I actually get a decent nights sleep and I feel incredible the next day. lol I've learned to deal with it. I'm hoping that the study shows something that's fixable.
                        Get some doxepin from the Doc... It's a mild SSRI non addicting... if that don't put you to sleep then you are a hybrid

Comment

You any better off cycle? Could be your reaction to androgens.

Comment

You any better off cycle? Could be your reaction to androgens.
                            Nope no better or worse on or off cycle. Now if I take tren, that's a different story. That has a huge impact on my sleeping. I only used that during my competitions.

Comment

Working...
                            X