Bodybuilder Bola Ojex - Double Quad Tear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bodybuilder Bola Ojex - Double Quad Tear

Seems to be more and more common the last couple months especially. Lot of guys here on SM have torn shit and there seems to be an uptick of pro level guys doing the same thing,..

-----------------

Just a month or so out from the New York Pro, which he was hoping would be his ticket to this year’s Mr Olympia, IFBB pro Bola Ojex suffered a devastating double quadricep tear during training.

“Please pray for my brother Bola… yesterday during our leg workout he tore both of his quadriceps squatting, one was partially torn & and one was completely torn… Bola was 6 weeks out from NY Pro, it was the best I’ve ever seen him! His surgery went very well & he’s rest and recovering right now, he will be back better and stronger!”

Bodybuilding legend Shawn Ray provided further details on the nature of Bola’s injury. In an Instagram post he stated that the injury would require Bola to spend the next two months in a wheelchair.

This scares me. How do these tears happen? I hear about bicep, quad, pec, etc tears all the time now as well...is it too much weight? Diet incorrect? Like I'm trying to figure how to avoid these injuries as much as possible

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall1019 View Post
      This scares me. How do these tears happen? I hear about bicep, quad, pec, etc tears all the time now as well...is it too much weight? Diet incorrect? Like I'm trying to figure how to avoid these injuries as much as possible
      Many reasons but I think a big culprit recently is high dose AAS making people stronger than they really should be. Muscle hits a failure point.

Comment

Originally posted by Bouncer View Post

Many reasons but I think a big culprit recently is high dose AAS making people stronger than they really should be. Muscle hits a failure point.
        I agree. I asked Mr I about his bicep tear and he told me he didn't warm up and jumped to curling 135lb off the rip. Second set his popped, so that makes total sense to me. I (almost) always do light stretching and a few light weight warm up sets before working sets to avoid this. I get it though, sometimes your in a rush to get your workout in and skip the warm ups....I've been there, so definitely not knocking him. I also notice this guy was training with Shawn Ray. I wonder if he was squatting more than he needed to be just because Shawn was....not often you tear BOTH quads in an exercise.....tell tell for me that he had way too much weight on the bar. All the more reason why I train with much lighter weight than most people do. I feel I simply get a better workout, because I can get that deep stretch, and the peak contraction on the short end of the muscle. I will go relatively heavy on some sets just to offer a different angle to target the muscle with, but I'm a firm believer in lighter weight higher reps probably 70 to 30 vs. heavy weight.

Comment

In context though, for me 'light' weight is about what most intermediate guys in the gym are lifting, just they have no form and their execution is aweful. The lowest reps in a set for me are 6. I don't do 1 rep maxes ever. Usually the most I squat is 315-350 depending on the day/exercise/how I'm feeling. Most i bench is 225 barbell, 100lb dumbbells. It's not impressive to the other gym goers but I have no need to go heavier. I usually move slowly and controlled, and like to incorporate a pause. This gets my muscles exhausted waaay better then just moving heavy weight. Granted everyone is different and my goals (bobybuilding/ muscle growth) are different than other people's. My approach wouldn't be optimal for an athlete or power lifter or for a tough mud runner or tri athlete. But I have noticed when you start asking guys and ladies in the gym what their goals are, a bodybuilding regiment more times than not suits what there goals are. And is far safer and less taxing on the body.

Comment

Working...
          X