Arms workout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arms workout

Are 6 hard sets reasonable for bis, tris and forearms?

On arms day, I do the following:

Bis:
    DB Curls - 3 hard sets
    Incline DB Curls - 3 hard sets

Tris:
    Skullcrushers - 3 hard sets
    Pushdowns - 3 hard sets

Forearms:
    Hammer Curls - 3 hard sets
    Wrist Curls - 3 hard sets

I have considered addng a 3rd exercise for bis and tris but I am afraid more than 6 sets would be too much for arms muscles.

Advice appreciated!

Just my 2¢.

I split arms into two seperate workouts on different days. bi's and abs one day, then the day after my chest day I do tri's then abs again. I try to blow out the major muscle I'm working to get a great pump! Works for me... may or may not work for you.

Comment

I try to get 9-12 sets, depending on how strong the pump is that day. I also try especially on bis to use different angles to make sure I get the whole thing. I do barbells to middle and top, EZ bar to get the lower, and seated 1 arm DBs to get all over and for the amazing burn if u rest ur elbow on the inside of your knee and turn the weight toward u at the top. I do hammers to get the brachialis (sp?) which is under the bicep. I also make sure on each one to use enough weight that I will fail to get 8 on my last set and with the failed set, I do a HARD NEGATIVE all the way down... usually about the 6-7 rep. That negative I think is just as good as the rest of the set. Just my 2 cents

Comment

Re: Arms workout

Originally posted by Scrumhalf
        Are 6 hard sets reasonable for bis, tris and forearms?

On arms day, I do the following:

Bis:
        DB Curls - 3 hard sets
        Incline DB Curls - 3 hard sets

Tris:
        Skullcrushers - 3 hard sets
        Pushdowns - 3 hard sets

Forearms:
        Hammer Curls - 3 hard sets
        Wrist Curls - 3 hard sets

I have considered addng a 3rd exercise for bis and tris but I am afraid more than 6 sets would be too much for arms muscles.

Advice appreciated!
        I would do three sets each and for each set I would do a different exercise. such as:

1 set of barbell curls to failure
        1 set of hammer DB curls to failure
        1 set of concentration curls to failure

I believe you get more out of a workout like that instead of repeating movements to many times. after the first set of BB curls why repeat the same movement (and that will achieve is a second set of the same exercise that is less productive than the first because you are already weaker)

Comment

Training methods are going to vary. Explore different methods and find out which ones work for you and go for it. For me, I do 3 sets of my first exercise (barbell curls), then I do two more exercises, two sets each(usually alternating d-bell curls and then cable curls). Same idea for triceps. It has worked well for me so far. Hope this helps.

Comment

I like to either superset bi's and tri's for the first two exercises if I'm training them on the same day and I also like to split them up into different days along with other body parts. I change my split often, usually every 6 weeks or so. This seems to work for me. Yesterday I did delts and tri's, day before I did chest and bi's. Like Stone said, find exercises that hit the muscles from different angles instead of going through the same motions repeatedly. I try to do 3 or 4 exercises for each body part and 4 sets per exercise starting with one warm-up set before proceeding to decent weight. If you have a lagging body part, train that first so you can push it more before you start tiring out.

Comment

For bi's why not finish with one set of 21's to burnem up. Still only 7 set but very intense. I wouldnt do them every workout either.
              For tri's I would do somthing like this
              close grip bench 3 sets
              skullcrusher 3sets
              pushdowns 2sets.

Comment

Yeah 21's are great I like to switch to reverse curls 21's every few weeks. They seem to work the forearms pretty good.

3 quick supersets might workout for you too, like lg said try alot of diiferent methods some may work better for you than others.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, guys. Lots of good ideas to try out next time on arms day.... wait a minute, that's today! Cool....

Comment

I do four sets of four exercises for everything but arms. I only three exercises for arms though. You get some arm work when you do back or chest also.

Comment

Check out this article by Poliquin: Training With Maximal Weights

Comment

Working...
                      X