can anyone help me with a rugby training program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can anyone help me with a rugby training program

in need some training advice im 13stone and 58" and im a little over weight any advice plz

When you say training program, are you in need of strength training or fitness training? Also, are you a forward or a back?

I played all over the backline, especially at halfback as my moniker suggests and for me, fitness training was more critical. Maintaining focus and energy over multiple phases required the most work for me.

Post more details and I can give you some suggestions.

Comment

What a pleasure to hear from someone else who plays rugby. I played for the Marine Corps team for awhile back in the 90's and loved it. I would reccomend stength training that develops endurance. Try cutting back on your rest time between sets to say 20 seconds. Combine body parts as well. Legs with shoulders etc. Lose the "finishing exercises" and stick with things that cause you to use your erector muscles all the time: sets with dumbbells are great for this. Have fun on the pitch.

Comment

i play in backline id like some advice on fittness and strength and if possible some speed trainingtips thanx

Comment

Eckardt covered it well. Here is some stuff to add:

Weight Training:

I think legs, shoulders and back strength are the most important - concentrate on these. Stick to compound exercises as you are trying to build strength.

Leg presses - presses/squats are important. If you are being tackled, you want to continue to force forward and gain a few extra feet and most importantly, stay off the ground unitl your support gets to you. Having strong legs will allow you to do that.

Back/Hamstrings - Do deadlifts as an overall back/hamstring exercise.

Lower back/Abs - Make sure you do enough extensions/crunches to keep your lower back healthy. When you are all stiff, it is easy to have your lower back go into spasms if the muscles are not strong.

Fitness:

You really have to get fit though - interval training is the best way. Fartlek is a good way to gain endurance. If you are running outside, do a google search for fartlek training. I cannot overemphasize the importance of interval training. You will need to go from aerobic to anaerobic and back easily and without gasping for breath. Nothing saps strength more than being out of breath. Fit/not so strong will beat not fit/super strong any day, especially in the later phases of the match.

Do you play sevens in summer? I found that playing sevens is an excellent way to get in shape for the 15-man season in fall.

Stretching:

Super important to make sure you don't get hurt. There are lots of good books on stretching for contact sports, and the internet has a lot of information as well.

Nice to hear from another rugger! I wish I was back out on the pitch - too much family commitments now though.

Comment

thanx scrumhalf

Comment

Fitness is the most important thing. do cardio-vascular as much as possible. added bulk is no good unless you can use it effectively. sprinting up an incline is good for breaking tackles, and jumping squats are great for getting faster. try drinking lots of beer... it works for the tight 5 i play with.

Comment

LOL.... drinking lots of beer and singing bawdy songs always works! At least to kill the pain of getting beaten up every Saturday.......

Comment

http://www.fitness4rugby.com/

this site has some good tips, if you have lots of free time that is.

Comment

Working...
                  X