abs make waist measurement bigger??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abs make waist measurement bigger??

is it possible for ab training to make your waist measurement bigger even though you are dieting, and can start to see the definition of the outer abs?

I did my weekly measurements and my waist stayed the same but I can really start to see the outline of a sixpack. My arms are way more vascular so I wouldn't think it's fat??

Any thoughts?

Re: abs make waist measurement bigger??

Originally posted by J.D.
    is it possible for ab training to make your waist measurement bigger even though you are dieting, and can start to see the definition of the outer abs?

I did my weekly measurements and my waist stayed the same but I can really start to see the outline of a sixpack. My arms are way more vascular so I wouldn't think it's fat??

Any thoughts?
    of course that is possible. it is also possible to get a bigger measurment from increasing erector spinae size. so use the mirror to judge how you look as well.

Comment

a lot of crunch work can give you a gut. Just look at some of the pros in their relaxed pictures. The only way they can have a 32 inch waist like they claim is to super suck in and probably wear a corset.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary
        a lot of crunch work can give you a gut. Just look at some of the pros in their relaxed pictures. The only way they can have a 32 inch waist like they claim is to super suck in and probably wear a corset.

A lot of that is GH gut, Gary.

I think that weighted crunch type movements and weighted twists in high volume will tend to make your abs look too blocky. You'll have to learn what is effective to keep abs up yet not overkill them to the point that they get too thick and lose their "sharpness." Once you lose an appropriate amount of ab fat, much of their appearance also has a lot to do with your genetic shapes of the abs, just like with other muscle groups.

Comment

That's what I thought, Thanks.

Comment

Be careful how often you work your obliques..... I read somwhere on this forum (can't remember where) that most people only do obliques when coming up to a show, and if they do obliques at other times, they do them rarely. I think this is because bulky obliques make your waist bigger and lessen the V-shape of your back.

Comment

Working...
            X