negitive/ superset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• negitive/ superset?

What do you guys mean in posts when you say negetive rep or effect im confused. Im confused about supersets too. Also im not meaning to be all big and bulky just nice and defined and have some muscle to show for. if im doing 3 sets of 12 on excercises lets say for dumb bells and on my last few reps of my last set if i dont fail or barely get the last rep up while crying out for my mother (lol) should i increase the weight? If im finishing my 3 sets of 12 with major fatigue but i still got all of them polished off is this good or should i increase weight so i do fail on my last reps of the last set. IDK feel free to bash away idc im learning.

A superset is when you do sets consecutively without a rest period in between. Not sure about negative reps though, wouldn't want to guess and confuse you :)

And, by the way, if you've accomplished your 3x12 on a particular weight with good form, then yes you should increase the weight. Sure your number of reps will go down, but if you keep going soon you will be able to accomplish 3x12 on the higher weight. If you don't increase the weight you will not make any gains, whether you want an athletes or a bodybuilders physique, plain and simple.

Comment

Negative reps are defined as doing a controlled eccentric execise. so for example if you were bench pressing. a spotter or two would raise the weight for you. you would then lower the weight on your own and then they would raise the weight for you again. so you are cutting the positive part of the movement out. with negative reps you can use close to 40-50%more weight because the body has the ability to lower more weight than it can raise. but be careful because there is more of a chance to be injured as well. also it is much more intense than normal workouts so be careful not to overtrain.

Comment

I thought positive resistance was moving with the force of gravity and negative resistance was moving agianst it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby
          I thought positive resistance was moving with the force of gravity and negative resistance was moving agianst it.
          nope just the opposite. positive is the concentric motion which is the movement against the force (either gravity or a cam on a machine). and negative is the eccentric portion or the lowering of the weight with gravity assisting.

Comment

oh i see. Thx alot.

Comment

Working...
            X