Bench Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench Press

Is it just me, or are there others out there that really struggle on bench press? I find it unccomfortable, and my shoulders and arms burn like hell when doing it, but my chest doesn't really feel much. And i have tried all the variations, barbell, dumbell, incline, decline, flat. I have even had someone spotting my form and have been told that I have good form. So whats going on? Have I just got a really weak chest, cos thats what it feels like. I have also noticed that I use nearly the same weight for my shoulders that I do for my bench.... that can't be normal! Should I just take a break from it perhaps, and do crossovers and flyes for the moment, and come back to it later?

Have you tried a different grip, a little further out maybe? When do you do bench in your routine, early in the week and first thing or late and last? I think dumbells on a slight incline, brought all the way down for a deep stretch and then all the way up so they're parallel to each other really hit the chest. You may also want to lower the weight you're using so you can slow down and really concentrate on your form & movement.

Comment

dumbell flys and dips.

Comment

How far down do you bring it. I'm guessing to far. More than slightly past 90 degrees your useing your shoulders and back to raise to where your chest is isolated.

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby
          How far down do you bring it. I'm guessing to far. More than slightly past 90 degrees your useing your shoulders and back to raise to where your chest is isolated.
          Well, using the barbell, i bring it down till it nearly touches my chest, then I push it back up again. The first few reps are good and pretty easy, then after bringing it down i just can't push it past halfway, no matter how much effort I put into it. Thats when my training partner steps in and gives me a hand.

Comment

Originally posted by decadecadeca
            Have you tried a different grip, a little further out maybe? When do you do bench in your routine, early in the week and first thing or late and last? I think dumbells on a slight incline, brought all the way down for a deep stretch and then all the way up so they're parallel to each other really hit the chest. You may also want to lower the weight you're using so you can slow down and really concentrate on your form & movement.
            Well, usually bench is the first thing I do each week, and i do it only once a week. I must agree with you though, using dumbells gives me a better stretch at the bottom, but with dumbells compared to a barbell I always worry that i may bring it too far down and injure my shoulder; I get the same feeling in my shoulder when I bring the dumbells too far down during chest flyes. I will probably try a smaller weight, but i ain't exactly going heavy at the moment and still getting all these problems.....

Comment

Originally posted by Face
              Well, using the barbell, i bring it down till it nearly touches my chest, then I push it back up again. The first few reps are good and pretty easy, then after bringing it down i just can't push it past halfway, no matter how much effort I put into it. Thats when my training partner steps in and gives me a hand.
              Bring it down 1-2 in. from your chest. See how that feels. Kind of depends on chest size. Try not to stretch your shoulders along with your chest.

Comment

Yeah going too far past 90 sometimes puts too much pressure on the rotator. Your shoulder blade is a full inch out of the socket when you bring it down that far (which is your shoulders weakest point) you don't want to put all that wieght on your shoulder at it's weak point...so yeah come down to about the 90 Degrees or slightly below.

Comment

It helped my chest grow when I slowed it down & lowered the weight a little like mentioned above, and focused on contracting and flexing my pecs as the bar was going up. Before that bench press was more of a shoulder/arms workout lol

Comment

Originally posted by CreepingDeath
                    It helped my chest grow when I slowed it down & lowered the weight a little like mentioned above, and focused on contracting and flexing my pecs as the bar was going up. Before that bench press was more of a shoulder/arms workout lol
                    :agree: focusing on the exercize in your mind is just as important as the exercize itself

Comment

Try not going all the way to lockout. Locking out uses more triceps and takes tension off the pecs.

Comment

Focus on your tempo...count to three when lowering the weight and press up to a one count while exhaling. Pick a weight that you can do at least 6 times as well. Try varying your start as well incline vs. flat etc. as has already been suggested. Also for a max try holding the weight during a warm-up set at you down position for 8-10seconds. Then add the plates and I am sure you will see an increse in how much you can lift. Let us know!

Comment

when i go down, we have to have the bar touch my chest. My triceps are more developed than my chest is. But are u talking about 90 degrees like your bicep bone is in a straight line with your body. because mine goes down to about 70 degrees past my straight line from my body.
                          i guess that would be a little confusing. sry but is that bad? when it is ina straight line it goes like 3-4 inches from my chest.

Comment

i think we all managed to confuse the shit out of him

Comment

LOL, nah, I get it, I am trying new things as we speak, will keep you all posted as to how its going. Thanks for all the advice as always :)

Comment

Working...
                              X