Shoulder pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoulder pain

The past few weeks my workouts have suffered from pain in my shoulder joints. I started to notice it around the time that I went back to flat bench press with the bar instead of dumb bells. I then began to notice it in all my shoulder workouts and movements along with when I sleep or do anything else that cause my arm to rotate up and or back. At the moment I only feel it on my left side, but at times I feel a bit numb in my right shoulder.

I plan to go have this checked out to see what it could be, but I owuld like to know if you have any ideas on what I can possibly change up or if any of you have experienced this.

I have had problems on again and off again for several years resulting from inflamation. I tore a rotator cuff awhile back and it took two years before I could sleep with my arm under a pillow! I implemented quite alot of dumbell "finishing" exercises into my shoulder routine : front raises, side raises etc. This has helped me considerably. I hope your shoulder gets better bro.

Comment

is your movement with your elbows out(body builder style) or elbows tucked in a bit(powerlifter form). I changed for bb to powerlifting style and my shoulder quit hurting all the time. just a thought

Comment

You may want to stick to dumbbell presses if they don't bother you. I don't do inclines, for example, because they really bother my rotator cuff. Flat bench is fine. If your shoulder is iffy, certain angles are ok and others aren't and you should find what works and stick with it.

Also, for sure, go see a doctor and ask for a referral to a physical therapist. They will give you lots of good exercises to strengthen your rotator cuff muscles.

Rotator cuff injuries are unfortunately not uncommon. One thing you shouldn't do is to continue to work out through chronic pain. The inflammation will keep getting worse and will result in something worse, like a rotator cuff tear which will really set you back big time.
        Last edited by Scrumhalf; 07-07-04, 02:39 AM.

Comment

I too had shoulder pains during flat bb press, but not incline bb press, which i thought was odd. i had to completely remove bb press and stick with db. I talked with a friend who was a physical therapist and he said it was probably the bicep, not the shoulder that was painful. he said to make sure i stretch (arms extended with my thumbs down) all the time, especially during chest day. although this is merely just a stretch, this has helped me tremendously, but dont know if this is the same injsury.
          best of luck

Comment

I've actually missed a few days in the gym because of work and the holidays, so it is feeling slightly better and I plan to go back to doing the db press in two days on my next chest day. I'll just search around for what feels best and try to filter out what bothers it, along with seeing a Dr somtime next week most likely.

As far as my style of bench. I am used to doing it will my elbows out, but have been bringing them down a little bit due to the pain.

Thanks for the insight everyone!

Comment

Re: Shoulder pain

Originally posted by Bdubb
              The past few weeks my workouts have suffered from pain in my shoulder joints. I started to notice it around the time that I went back to flat bench press with the bar instead of dumb bells. I then began to notice it in all my shoulder workouts and movements along with when I sleep or do anything else that cause my arm to rotate up and or back. At the moment I only feel it on my left side, but at times I feel a bit numb in my right shoulder.

I plan to go have this checked out to see what it could be, but I owuld like to know if you have any ideas on what I can possibly change up or if any of you have experienced this.
              same with me brother im stickin to dumbbells!

Comment

I have also had this problem and went into the doc. had X-rays done and it was AC ligament that was inflamed and slightly arthritic. This he sad is do to the fact of doing heavy barbell bench and close grip bench.

This is caused by putting presure on the AC ligament and squeezing it at the top of the movement. So he said if going heavy to always go with dumbbells. It allows free movement of each shoulder independently.

Hope this helped also he has me on 2 1/2 aleve 2X day. And that seems to be helping.

Comment

I had a friend suggest alieve as well since he made a Dr. visit as well and was told that. I am still waiting to find out when I can skip out on work and go see the Dr. just so I can check up on things.

Comment

Re: Shoulder pain

Originally posted by Bdubb

When I do flat bench press, my right collar bone pops each time I'm at the top of a rep. I would switch to a sitting chest press, or maybe incline dumbell chest presses.

Comment

Working...
                    X