Wait period inbetween sets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait period inbetween sets?

How long should I wait inbetween sets when weight training? For example, if I am doing bench press and I am doing 4 sets of 10 reps each, how long should I wait inbetween sets? 1-2 minutes? less than a minute?

Re: Wait period inbetween sets?

Originally posted by ecmoney
    How long should I wait inbetween sets when weight training? For example, if I am doing bench press and I am doing 4 sets of 10 reps each, how long should I wait inbetween sets? 1-2 minutes? less than a minute?
    Depends on your goals. ATP regeneration is usually complete within 3 minutes. But I like to achieve anaerobic conditioning by keeping my sets within 1-1 1/2 minutes of each other. I don't like being in the gym forever either and that is one way to to get in and out faster so you can get home and start the recovery process.

Comment

I normally go 30 seconds to a minute

Comment

I absolutely agree With SC...What are your goals...if your wanting to be a power lifter (or even focus on strentgh) there is great reason for having 100% of your energy for each set...when I was really focused on base strength I would sometimes wait close to 4 min between each set...so I could hit each set at 100%. Although it does take 3 min for ATP regen you are at 50% around the 45sec mark (help me if i am rusty about this).

There are benifits of different rest intv. it is all about you!

Comment

Originally posted by ZHowitzer!
          I absolutely agree With SC...What are your goals...if your wanting to be a power lifter (or even focus on strentgh) there is great reason for having 100% of your energy for each set...when I was really focused on base strength I would sometimes wait close to 4 min between each set...so I could hit each set at 100%. Although it does take 3 min for ATP regen you are at 50% around the 45sec mark (help me if i am rusty about this).

actually 50% is close to 10-20 seconds. that is why when you are trying to superset for reasons of pre-exhausting, it is tough unless your equipment is right next to each other.

Comment

Thx Bro.. my little piece of pater says 2000 on it ... i think the exp. date may have passed:D In fact it (10 sec)is the basis for my current work out...On thursday and friday I try and disprove the theroy that intensity(load) and volume(period) must be INVERSE in relation. I take a weight that I can do between 8 and 12 times (normally) and do 4 sets of 24/bodypart :-D I wont go into detail here but it is HELL and also yeild's the best results that I have expeirenced. (I have actually tried this with a number of different poeple and their results have also been eye-opening)

Comment

SC pretty much nailed it with a pretty professional answer. The atheletes I work with, it depends on their training season. If theyre in an off season enducrance phase, there's little wait, 20-30 seconds max. If theyre in a pre season power phase, one minute to 90 seconds is the wait and a hypertrophy phase there's usually a 45 second wait.

Comment

I have never been one for long rest periods, I really am not too scientific about it, so when my training partner gets up, change the weight and get on. The only time I have longer rest periods is when I do heavy squats.

Comment

Thx Bro.. my little piece of pater says 2000 on it ... i think the exp. date may have passed:D In fact it (10 sec)is the basis for my current work out...On thursday and friday I try and disprove the theroy that intensity(load) and volume(period) must be INVERSE in relation. I take a weight that I can do between 8 and 12 times (normally) and do 4 sets of 24/bodypart :-D I wont go into detail here but it is HELL and also yeild's the best results that I have expeirenced. (I have actually tried this with a number of different poeple and their results have also been eye-opening)
                  just so you know too (I just noticed this), I/we don't define intensity as Load. Intensity is EFFORT. simple example, a person bench presses 200 pounds to momentary and volitional muscular failure. b person does 2 reps of 285 even though he could have done 5 more. which set is more Intense? answer is obvious. load doesn't have much to do with the intensity of a set.

Comment

i go no more than a minute

Comment

I take a weight that I can do between 8 and 12 times (normally) and do 4 sets of 24/bodypart
                      4 sets of 24? That's pretty high. Seems more aerobic than anaerobic.

Comment

Yup. BB

Comment

Working...
                        X