Building a home gym

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a home gym

I decided to build a home gym. So farI have a bench, bar, weights, e-z curl bar, bands, and some boxing equipment. My next buy is gong to be dumbells. I was thinking of going with the power blocks. Any opinions? Is there cheaper way to go about it and still get a good set.Normally at the gym I use from the 20lb to 100 lb db's . I was pricing them the othe day and 1 65 lb db is like 30 bucks.

I've only ever seen those blocks in stores, felt like shit. I vote for going with the real DBs. Usually if you buy alot from one place they'll cut a deal.

Maybe look for a Play It Again Sports, or any used fitness place. People give up so quick on working out they usually have tons of DBs/plates cheap.

Comment

Well, the cheapest method I came up with is to buy the #1 - #6 handles which will run about $130. Then get 24 / 10lb plates, 4 / 5lbs plates, and 4 / 2.5lb plates which will run about $136.80 and will be $69 for s/h. Total you're looking at around $335.80. That'll give you db's from 5-120lbs. But you'll have to constantly change them whenever you want to change the weight. This is from bwproducts.com. For $184.95, you can get the add on plate set from ironcompany.com which allows you to screw on extra plates to the ends of the db's.

http://www.hexplus.net/20-225.htm

Comment

Originally posted by beefcake
        Well, the cheapest method I came up with is to buy the #1 - #6 handles which will run about $130. Then get 24 / 10lb plates, 4 / 5lbs plates, and 4 / 2.5lb plates which will run about $136.80 and will be $69 for s/h. Total you're looking at around $335.80. That'll give you db's from 5-120lbs. But you'll have to constantly change them whenever you want to change the weight. This is from bwproducts.com. For $184.95, you can get the add on plate set from ironcompany.com which allows you to screw on extra plates to the ends of the db's.

http://www.hexplus.net/20-225.htm
        That's the same way I bought my last set back in college...like BC said, it's a little bit of a pain in the ass to have to change plates if you only have to handles, but I happened to have a couple extra handles that worked so I always kept 4...but the upside is you can have whatever weight you want then

Comment

Originally posted by FX4
          That's the same way I bought my last set back in college...like BC said, it's a little bit of a pain in the ass to have to change plates if you only have to handles, but I happened to have a couple extra handles that worked so I always kept 4...but the upside is you can have whatever weight you want then
          Yup, and gradually over time, as cash flow gets bigger, you can get more handles and more weights to compensate for the weight that you use the most, instead of having to constantly change em.

Comment

I have these in 30-100 from the local gym place, .49 cents a lb average. Worth the extra investment in my opinion.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by decadecadeca
              I have these in 30-100 from the local gym place, .49 cents a lb average. Worth the extra investment in my opinion.
              Would cost around $1000 to get a set of those.

Comment

If you know someone who has a welding or fabricating shop, or if you have the skills, you can make your own much cheaper. I bought several 12' lengths of hot rolled steel 6" in diameter and 2 lengths of 1 1/2" diameter for the bars. The 6" dia, steel is so many lbs. per inch. Calculate how many inches you need for a certain weight, adding the weight of the short bar, cut them out and weld them together then paint, and voila, dumbells! I have the use of the maintenance shop where I work, so many years ago I made a complete set. Fortunately, I know how to weld, etc. so it only took a little time to make them and saved myself a bunch of dough. Yea, they're round and can roll around when they are set sown, but it's no biggie. I'm sure you know, or know someone who does, someone who can do this. Worked for me, it'll work for you. BB

Comment

Originally posted by bonebreaker
                  If you know someone who has a welding or fabricating shop, or if you have the skills, you can make your own much cheaper. I bought several 12' lengths of hot rolled steel 6" in diameter and 2 lengths of 1 1/2" diameter for the bars. The 6" dia, steel is so many lbs. per inch. Calculate how many inches you need for a certain weight, adding the weight of the short bar, cut them out and weld them together then paint, and voila, dumbells! I have the use of the maintenance shop where I work, so many years ago I made a complete set. Fortunately, I know how to weld, etc. so it only took a little time to make them and saved myself a bunch of dough. Yea, they're round and can roll around when they are set sown, but it's no biggie. I'm sure you know, or know someone who does, someone who can do this. Worked for me, it'll work for you. BB
                  Hmmm, that is a good idea. I can do that. I work on race cars on the side so I have the ability and a shop

Comment

Originally posted by speedracer59
                    Hmmm, that is a good idea. I can do that. I work on race cars on the side so I have the ability and a shop
                    That's where I learned my welding and fabricating skills many MANY, years ago. You got the stuff and the KnowHow--Go to it and good luck!! BB

Comment

But a weight set (300lb) for $109 at any sports store, buy dumbells (i use screw on collars) and now you have dumbells that you can add ad much weight as you need. I hate switching weights a lot so whenever I have some extra cash I will go pick up a pair of dumbells at the weight I use the most at that point. My schedule does not allow me to go the gym so I know how it is to have to make due with what you have at home. I bought a weight bench (weider) with incline,decline bench, leg curl/extension, lat tower, and preacher curl pad for under $150 bucks at sears a few years ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X