Thumb Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thumb Position

On your pressing movements, what thumb placement do you use? Under the bar or over the bar? I can't really see any benefit to under the bar other than increased strength.
    Over the Bar
    46.15%
    Under the Bar
    53.85%
    In my dumper
    0.00%
    I don't workout
    0.00%

Re: Thumb Position

Originally posted by beefcake
    On your pressing movements, what thumb placement do you use? Under the bar or over the bar? I can't really see any benefit to under the bar other than increased strength.
    Yes it is increased strength, but it's superficial strength. You get more leverage on the bar, making bad form more possible.

When you put your thumb over the bar, more muscles are worked.

Comment

Under, for no other reason than that's just the way I've always done it. Now anything else feels unnatural.

Not as unnatural as option #3, but I've never tried it so who knows!

Comment

I use both under and over, some movements I just feel better with under..

I am sure the people around me wish #3 was my choice at all times when I am at work.. Love protein bombs!

Comment

There was a dude at my gym who dropped 455 on his chest cause he was using the thumb over grip. Someone was telling me that the bearings on the bb was bad so the weight rolled the bar right out of his hands. I haven't seen him back in there since. :(
          Last edited by beefcake; 08-31-04, 07:05 PM.

Comment

There was a dude at my gym who dropped 455 on his chest cause he was using the thumb under grip. Someone was telling me that the bearings on the bb was bad so the weight rolled the bar right out of his hands. I haven't seen him back in there since. :(
            I'm assuming you mean the thumb OVER grip. I have seen guys who can't control the weight and it rolled off their hands just like you explained.

I'm of the beliefe that you should ALWAYS use a thumb under grip, for saftey.

Comment

i agree with g-s on this one. i just feel much safer with the "under" position. ive seen too many people roll the bar.

Comment

Over. An old and probably bad habit.

Comment

Originally posted by G-S
                  I'm assuming you mean the thumb OVER grip. I have seen guys who can't control the weight and it rolled off their hands just like you explained.

I'm of the beliefe that you should ALWAYS use a thumb under grip, for saftey.
                  I was doing chest at the gym tonight and you're right bro. I got my thinking backwards.

Comment

Without the use of your thumb it puts more strain on your wrists

Comment

thumb under

Comment

Under

Comment

under

Comment

over... but if I'm going heavy with a bar press, then I will definitely have a spot there for my safety ;) I don't want to drop anything on my chest and make me miss any gym time.

Comment

There was a dude at my gym who dropped 455 on his chest cause he was using the thumb under grip. Someone was telling me that the bearings on the bb was bad so the weight rolled the bar right out of his hands. I haven't seen him back in there since. :(
                              Thats why I go under

Comment

Working...
                              X