Football training question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football training question?

Im already 22 years of age but remember when i was in high school and was in footnball. I was a freshman at the time in 1996. We used to workout a scheduale like this:

Mondays: drills then upper body (bench presses, incline, delcine)

Tuesdays: drills then lower body (deadlifts, power cleans, squats)

Wednesdays: same as mondays (upper body)

Thursdays: same as tuesdays (lower body)

Fridays: either train as Mondays and Wed or prepare for game.

The thing is, with all the training and all, for the games most were tired and worn out like crazy. Doing heavy presses and squats at the time. Isnt it bad for us at the time to be training like that. Being all overtrained and all. Not eating proper. Coaches telling us to eat everything in site and i mean anything. I know this all depends on the type of programs the coaches are running. Would it be better just hitting the muscles once a week hard and heavy and focus more on how to perfect the players skills and plays. I know weights are an important part of football but having us at the time train like this, its hard when ur tired and playing a game. Also making them faster instead of being all tired. Thats another reason why i never put on muscle during high school. Open weight room after school and the trainings at 12 pm. Tired
    Last edited by JUICE; 09-05-04, 03:17 AM.

all the highschool football coaches are dumbasses :D........at least the ones around here anyway

Comment

Originally posted by CreepingDeath
      all the highschool football coaches are dumbasses :D........at least the ones around here anyway

the ones from here suck nuts. Expect one school who always win distrit and makes it to the 3rd round playoffs but the rest suck nuts.

Comment

Lifting should never be a part of the schedual during the season. If u do lift, which isnt a bad idea, u do perfect form and light-weight, simply to increase bloodflow and help ease through achews and pains, as well as mainaining the ulitmate mass u wouyld have worked hard on to put on during the off season.

They just dont mix, ur body is tired, u dont grow, and they downplay eachother.

Comment

Originally posted by Viral
          Lifting should never be a part of the schedual during the season. If u do lift, which isnt a bad idea, u do perfect form and light-weight, simply to increase bloodflow and help ease through achews and pains, as well as mainaining the ulitmate mass u wouyld have worked hard on to put on during the off season.

They just dont mix, ur body is tired, u dont grow, and they downplay eachother.
          this is similar to what we did for football. during the season we only hit weights 2 or 3 times a week, with no more than 70% of our max.

Comment

I disagree 100%. Youll find at all the major D-1 schools, as well as most D-2, etc. that lifting is a staple during the season, and rightfully should be. Weight training should be done after practice and she be totally sports specific. Workouts should be kept short and explosive. High intensity, heavy weight, power lifts.

Comment

Sorry Guys ... YJ is correct. I dont really have time to go into it but he is dead on.

I will tell you that when I send e-mail it does happen to have a CSCS with it ;)

Comment

i also disagree, not only at the high school level but also college level. lifting is a mandatory all year, sure excersizes and reps change but it is still lifting and conditioning. I just wish that my high school coach wasn't such a fuck up, maybe we would have done alittle better.

Comment

If you don't lift to at least maintain durung the season it won't take long for all those hard-earned offseason gains to go away. It all comes down to diet, hydration and getting enough sleep. Your body can adapt to most situations especially when you are a freshman in high school. I still cringe when I think about what our freshman coach put us through. Still probably the toughest thing I have been through to date.

Comment

I have a lot of friends that talk abou tthe "high school football days"

Not to discredit the tremoundous stress...or that infact it was the hardest thing many of you have gone through...but I thought the same thing...until I got to college...and became a CHEERLEADER!

Ha...I know some of you are laughing but out of the guys I cheered with: 4 played football (2 in college), 2 Baseball, 1 wrestled. We ALL agreed that our 2-a-Days were the ABSOLUTE HARDEST thing that we had EVER tried to do (ok and we had a Marine...he wouldn't say it was harder than the corps but ... he fukin sucked anyway!)

Funny...chunking those little girls in the air is like going to a practice and doing 1,000 moderate weight power snatches...letting go...catching it again and holding it over your head -vert- and keeping it in ballance (some where in there there is a bare hands boxing match b/c I always managed to bleed from the face). then the nice "Ab work" that we did after our 2mile warm up and after practice...think of doing hainging leg raises...with out hanging but jumping ... oh and go ahead and pull your legs over your head and get them back underneath your ass before you land on your head (standing backflips)...FUCK YOU if your still laughing...I was any where between 220 and 240...that is a fat ass back flip :-D

but i did like the "benifits" so I really cant gripe.

oh...and I tried to put fucking handles on the gym (to try to lift the whole thing at once) ALL YEAR LONG!

Comment

Working...
                    X