Squats and Smith Machine Squats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squats and Smith Machine Squats

Are they both the same as in wokring out the muscle. Ive been using the smith machine and love it. I go with what to me is heavy right now. Im building strength as the days go by. Im currently squating 315 for 8 reps. Ive also noticed alot of leg size. What are ur thoughts on the difference for both?:)

when i was young i hated squats because i had small traps and it would hurt but now i love them. your whole body gets a work out. IMO the smith machine just doesnt hit the stablizing muscles like good old squats do. But thats me :D i do the smiths machine second but with my feet right in front of me to hit the Quads then straight leg dead lift mmmm my three fav leg exercises.

Comment

I look at it just being a plate loaded machine (like Hammer Strength). ROM is restricted to the guide bars and stabilizers are disengaged.

Comment

Re: Squats and Smith Machine Squats

Originally posted by JUICE
        Are they both the same as in wokring out the muscle. Ive been using the smith machine and love it. I go with what to me is heavy right now. Im building strength as the days go by. Im currently squating 315 for 8 reps. Ive also noticed alot of leg size. What are ur thoughts on the difference for both?:)
        I made much better quad development with smith machine. my present gym has a sucky one so I can't do them but if I can take my back muscles out of the equation then I would rather do smiths.

Comment

Re: Re: Squats and Smith Machine Squats

Originally posted by stonecold54
          I made much better quad development with smith machine. my present gym has a sucky one so I can't do them but if I can take my back muscles out of the equation then I would rather do smiths.

thats whats happening to me. My quads are growing more faster than to when i used to do them without the smith. At times I would move, while the machine keeps me balanced. I could probably go heavier on the regualr squats but the smith keeps me balanced and with good form.

Comment

I feel smith machine squats mimick that hack squat too much. They're great though since they target the legs more and keep balance and bar placement issues out of play.

Comment

I tried the smith machine for a while and I think I got smaller from using it, I do think they work well for front squats but as far as normal squats I would say the Rack is where you should be spending the majority of your time.

I do see a lot of women and beginners using them, which may be good in establishing form.

I think if your going to lift weights , than lift weights..... on a lot of the smith machines there is a 30lb assist

Just my 2 cents.

V ;)

Comment

I've been using the Smith almost exculsively for 5 months or so. Whenever I go heavy on a free squat, I kept hurting my lower back area.

The smith keeps your form tight, and eliminates that problem for me. However, it is NOT near as good as an overall mass builder as the free squat is.

Comment

Originally posted by G-S
                  I've been using the Smith almost exculsively for 5 months or so. Whenever I go heavy on a free squat, I kept hurting my lower back area.

The smith keeps your form tight, and eliminates that problem for me. However, it is NOT near as good as an overall mass builder as the free squat is.
                  What do you know? You don't even deadlift. :D

Comment

I always switch between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by voneber
                      I tried the smith machine for a while and I think I got smaller from using it, I do think they work well for front squats but as far as normal squats I would say the Rack is where you should be spending the majority of your time.

I do see a lot of women and beginners using them, which may be good in establishing form.

I think if your going to lift weights , than lift weights..... on a lot of the smith machines there is a 30lb assist

Just my 2 cents.

V ;)
                      the 30lb counterbalance is to negate the weight of the bar to make it 0. that way whatever weight you put on the bar is the total weight. it helps with people that aren't extremely strong.

Comment

Originally posted by beefcake
                        I feel smith machine squats mimick that hack squat too much. They're great though since they target the legs more and keep balance and bar placement issues out of play.
                        I have the opposite feeling. I feel hack squats specifically in the knee area only. but with smiths I can push with the whole quad from top to bottom and get a great contraction.

Comment

Hey stone, how far out in front of you do you like to place your feet? Do you still keep an arch in your back or do you keep it straight?

Comment

Originally posted by beefcake
                            Hey stone, how far out in front of you do you like to place your feet? Do you still keep an arch in your back or do you keep it straight?
                            if this makes sense. I put my feet only a few inches in front of my vertical body line. I used to try and put them really far ahead of my body but felt too off balance. My back is for the most part straight but there is a nature arc towards the bottom even on smiths.

Comment

Originally posted by stonecold54
                              the 30lb counterbalance is to negate the weight of the bar to make it 0. that way whatever weight you put on the bar is the total weight. it helps with people that aren't extremely strong.
                              Our Smith Machine has no counterbalance. The actual weight of the bar is 65lbs.

I like it that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X