How far down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far down

On my presses, I bring the bar all the way down and touch my chest, no bouncing. Even on shoulder presses, I touch my neck on behind the neck and touch my chest on front presses. However, i've noticed that I can lift much more weight if I was to stop the bar an inch or two from the chest. Is there really anymore of a benefit from going all the way down, or am I wasting time and potential?

If you go all the way, you are helping to keep your range of motion. This also is making you use more to move that weight.. I don't think there is any significant benefit though.

Comment

Re: How far down

Originally posted by beefcake
      On my presses, I bring the bar all the way down and touch my chest, no bouncing. Even on shoulder presses, I touch my neck on behind the neck and touch my chest on front presses. However, i've noticed that I can lift much more weight if I was to stop the bar an inch or two from the chest. Is there really anymore of a benefit from going all the way down, or am I wasting time and potential?
      I would say use what ever is comfortable. The reason you probably can't lift as much as that is the sticking point for that exercise which means it is actually the most effective in that position. kind of a paradox.

Comment

Re: Re: How far down

Originally posted by stonecold54
        I would say use what ever is comfortable. The reason you probably can't lift as much as that is the sticking point for that exercise which means it is actually the most effective in that position. kind of a paradox.
        Hmm. I figured that that is the hardest point in the lift. I notice a lot of guys need help getting a lift off when using db's for presses and I don't. Guess it helps in that aspect. I guess i'll keep doing it.

Comment

after reading this post i went to do over head dumbell press and tried it your way, not stopping at 90 degrees like i usaully do but coming all the way to where the db's were about an inch above my shoulders. i can usaully press 85 lbs 6-8 times my old way but was pushin real hard to get 75 for 6 reps your way. its a little humbling, but i like it. i could really feel the burn throught out the whole muscle, and cant wait to get my weight back up to 85 again the right way

Comment

to clarify, i mean each dumbbell weighs 85 and/or 75lbs, not a combined total

Comment

Once you reach a certain point your muscle relaxes, so if you are going all the way down, chances are that its past the point of resistance and your muscle relaxes. It takes more energy to contract again, explanation of being lifting less weight or being weaker. I know there is some contraversy on this and alot of people will argue with me, because people think you need to go to a certain point to get a good stretch. This only works for certain muscle groups and you have to understand where the muscle connects and what its point of contraction is. I know I'm rambling. I will try to find the study that I read and post it on here. For informational purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannons
                Once you reach a certain point your muscle relaxes, so if you are going all the way down, chances are that its past the point of resistance and your muscle relaxes. It takes more energy to contract again, explanation of being lifting less weight or being weaker. I know there is some contraversy on this and alot of people will argue with me, because people think you need to go to a certain point to get a good stretch. This only works for certain muscle groups and you have to understand where the muscle connects and what its point of contraction is. I know I'm rambling. I will try to find the study that I read and post it on here. For informational purposes.
                i agree but with shoulder press i can do more reps going all the way down like you said i think the muscle relaxes but stopin at the 90degrese is alot harder for me.

Comment

I think once you passed the 90 degrese you start putting pressure on your joints.I know if I come down to close to my collar bone,I start feeling my rotator cufs so this proves every one is different you should stick with whatever makes you feel your muscles work and your joints free of pain.

Comment

good points by everybody... it really does depend on the exercise. while I may cheat a little on the last one or two reps of my final set by not doing the full range of motion, on my body i've found the full range helps create a fuller look in the muscle, makes them seem slightly elongated as well. on presses for instance though i go beyond 90 degrees for the full range of motion, but not too far as it's not a normal range of motion for the body and can put undue pressure on the joints.
                    I say go for what feels best, and when that becomes routine mix it up.

Comment

i agree with not going to low to where the resistance is takin out of the muscle and put into the joint, but on most lifts(sh. press, bench etc.) 90 degrees just isnt low enough to get that full range of motion IMO. also,,if you cannot stop at 90 degrees you arte defenitly using to much weight and are probably using momentum and the joint to get the weight up. stopping at 90 degrees is easier than going to about 70 degrees

Comment

then again,,i have a long build and what works for me may not work for someone with a shorter build..... so really each person needs to assess whats best for the body mecvhanics individually...like hlcn8 already said : )

Comment

over the years I have seen articles that say don't do shoulder presses behind the head and don't lower the bar below the ears - too much force on the joints, rotator cuffs and other things. But then there are plenty of articles and pictures showing both of those. So who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary
                            over the years I have seen articles that say don't do shoulder presses behind the head and don't lower the bar below the ears - too much force on the joints, rotator cuffs and other things. But then there are plenty of articles and pictures showing both of those. So who knows?
                            I see that a lot as well. I only do them because my shoulder joints are really strong and I don't feel any pinching or bad stress when I do them. I've heard if you've been injured before or susceptible to injury then not to do them. I feel they work great and really help to hit the posterior delt.

Comment

Working...
                            X