shoulder pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shoulder pain

Ive been incorporating alot of stabalizing exercises for my shoulders. The problem im having is my rotator in my left shoulder is tender and sore. I didnt tear anything because i have full mobility and havent lost strength. ive been popping ibuprofen and rubbing liniment on it but not alot of change. also taking msm with glucosimine and my other vit's. Ive had it for a couple weeks. Do i just work through the pain. I dont want to stop lifting altogether.

What exercises have you been doing? These may be the culprits. If it were me, I would work through the pain, but that's also because i'm an idiot. Maybe try warming up your shoulder really good first before doing the workout all while going easy on it and see if that helps any. If not, then for your own health and good, you may have to lay off of it for a while. I know a buddy who has a jacked up shoulder capsule and it doesn't seem like very much fun.

Comment

Just the typical bb routines. each body part once per week. I was wondering if its the bench. Ive been warming up pretty well 135 for 2 sets of 30 to pump the blood in then stretch my shoulders. Ive only been going up to 275 for 5 reps and i feel fine but doesnt matter what day just a constant (not extreme though) pain.

Comment

AI just hate to stop now ive been back 6 weeks after a couple year layoff.

Comment

Originally posted by notopher
          Just the typical bb routines. each body part once per week. I was wondering if its the bench. Ive been warming up pretty well 135 for 2 sets of 30 to pump the blood in then stretch my shoulders. Ive only been going up to 275 for 5 reps and i feel fine but doesnt matter what day just a constant (not extreme though) pain.
          These are military presses? That's pretty heavy bro. You aren't going behind the neck are you?

Comment

No not military. Bench. I only do 205 on military ( on the smith machine)

Comment

I dont have an answer but I have the same problem. Burns like hell when I go for "heavy" (no where near 275!) military press. Dont lose any strength, just burns like hell. Never press behind my head, never had any shoulder problems, just recently started to hurt...

Comment

Er...it's bad to press behind your head?

Comment

My shoulder was bothering me (small tear in the rotator) a couple years ago and I gave up all barbell exercises. I only used dumbbells. I was able to adjust the dumbbells around the pain. Using a barbell locks you into a fixed position. Give it a try hopefully it will help with your training.

Comment

Originally posted by Oomdayir
                    Er...it's bad to press behind your head?
                    Yes don't do them behind the neck!!!! This info is like 10 years old but people still insist on doing Behind the neck presses.

Comment

Re: shoulder pain

Originally posted by notopher
                      Ive been incorporating alot of stabalizing exercises for my shoulders. The problem im having is my rotator in my left shoulder is tender and sore. I didnt tear anything because i have full mobility and havent lost strength. ive been popping ibuprofen and rubbing liniment on it but not alot of change. also taking msm with glucosimine and my other vit's. Ive had it for a couple weeks. Do i just work through the pain. I dont want to stop lifting altogether.
                      write down your complete workout. I gurantee you won't like my answer but do it anyway :)

Comment

My complete workout...that could take some time

Chest:
                        Bench press - 5 sets, 6-10 reps
                        Flat bench flies - 5 sets, 6-10 reps
                        Incline bench press - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
                        Cable crossovers - 6 sets, 10-12 reps
                        Dips - 5 sets, to failure
                        Dumbbell pullovers - 5 sets, 10-12 reps

Back:
                        Front wide-grip chin-ups - 6 sets, to failure
                        T-bar rows - 5 sets, 6-10 reps
                        Seated pulley rows - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
                        One-arm dumbbell rows - 5 sets, 6-10 reps
                        Straight-leg deadlifts - 6 sets, 15 reps

Legs:
                        Squats - 6 sets, 8-12 reps
                        Leg presses - 6 sets, 8-12 reps
                        Leg extensions - 6 sets, 12-15 reps
                        Leg curls - 6 sets, 10-12 reps
                        Barbell lunges - 5 sets, 15 reps

Calves:
                        Standing calf raises -10 sets, 10 reps
                        Seated calf raises - 8 sets, 15 reps
                        One-legged calf raises (holding dumbbells) - 6 sets,12 reps

Forearms:
                        Wrist curls (forearms on knees) - 4 sets, 10 reps
                        Reverse barbell curls - 4 sets, 8 reps
                        Wright roller machine - to failure

Abs:
                        Nonstop instinct training for 30 minutes

Biceps:
                        Barbell curls - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
                        Seated dumbbell curls - 4sets, 6-10 reps
                        Dumbbell concentration curls - 4 sets, 6-10 reps

Triceps:
                        Close-grip bench presses (for the all three heads) - 6 sets, 6-10 reps
                        Pushdowns (exterior head) - 6 sets, 6-10 reps

Comment

Only once per week per body part

Comment

Holy shit dude, look at all those sets. SC is going to eat that for breakfast.

Comment

Maybe so. I guess it looks like a lot however im only working each part once per week and with my diet ive had amazing gains and no lack in strength.

Comment

Working...
                              X