Is flat bench nessesary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is flat bench nessesary?

For instance im lacking alittle bit on my upper chest. Ive always dont falt bench and recently doing dumbell presses. The question is, is falt or dumbell presses nessesary.
    Lets say im gonna do this routine for 4-5 weeks starting after Monday.

incline dumbells: 4 sets of 6-10 reps
    incline press machine: 4 sets of 6-10 reps
    close grip presses machine (inner chest): 3 sets of 6-10 reps
    cable crossovers: 3 sets of 6-10 reps
    dips: 2 sets till failure

I did not include any flat presses on the routine. Im asking, if the results can be better or the same if i do not include them. I wanna focus more in my inner and upper chest nor now.

I was doing this:

flat or db presses: 4 sets of 6-10 reps
    incline machine (free weight plates): 4 sets of 6-10 reps
    pec dec: 3 sets of 6-10 reps
    dips: 3 sets of 6- 10 reps

I kinda got tired of this rountine already and need a change, so would the above be good.:D

a lot of the pros say screw the flat bench, i personaly dont feel right if i dont do it at least every other workout. why do you feel that you have to consistanly do the same workout every time. i usually rotate between starting with flat or incline and db or bb. if i start with incline db then i will go to flat bb, then whatever other movments . next workout i will start with flat bb or db then move to incline. i also do flys after these which i swith incline or flat every workout. this also depends on if you have a bottom heavy or topheavy chest,

Comment

Originally posted by njlovehandles
      a lot of the pros say screw the flat bench, i personaly dont feel right if i dont do it at least every other workout. why do you feel that you have to consistanly do the same workout every time. i usually rotate between starting with flat or incline and db or bb. if i start with incline db then i will go to flat bb, then whatever other movments . next workout i will start with flat bb or db then move to incline. i also do flys after these which i swith incline or flat every workout. this also depends on if you have a bottom heavy or topheavy chest,
      as for me not wanting to do flat is because ive been doing them since i was 13 years old. I always included them in my routines and it got boring. I dont feel it anymore when i do them. Ive been feeling some machine that require free weigh plates more on me. I feel the burn and the pain. I get sore from them alot too. ALso with the inclines, ive been feeling good about it. The bench makes me feel like if i didnt do a workout.

Also what ive been liking about incline are that when i wear shirts they make my chest look bigger and my neck look smaller. Damn chest and traps make my neck look small (thick, a no-neck).:D

Comment

i think u just need to switch your workouts around...if u forget about flat bench your gonna have a half assed chest. listen to njovehandles, about switching from db to bb every workout. also maybe change your rep range, go really heavy on flat for a couple weeks, really shock that muscle into growing again. you can focus more on the incline presses, just dont forget about that flat

Comment

keep changing your routine. i never do the same workout twice in a row. u cant just shun off flat bench forever. good luck. i think i am going to start using more machines rwards the end of my workout. my gym has hammer strength flat and incline. never tried either. any opinions on which is better or if the work well

Comment

the hammer strength machines are cool. neither works better than the other since they target different areas. they are cool though. allow you to do a pretty healthy amount of weight. i feel they are kind of biased to people with shorter arms. just cuz i have long ass monkey arms and i do less weight on them than my freind with short arms, but i can bench more than him. go figure. a very nice change of pace if all you do is bb and db press

Comment

I start every workout with inclines, then flat, then decline. I feel flat and decline are needed because they do hit the clavicular pec major. I switch from bb to db every other workout to give a different feeling. Same with flyes, db to cables. But if you're really not feeling it, then I would find something else to use, just like you're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by beefcake
                I start every workout with inclines, then flat, then decline. I feel flat and decline are needed because they do hit the clavicular pec major. I switch from bb to db every other workout to give a different feeling. Same with flyes, db to cables. But if you're really not feeling it, then I would find something else to use, just like you're doing.

thats what im gonna have to start dong then, doing db then bb.

Comment

Working...
                X