Neutral Grip DB Bench Presses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neutral Grip DB Bench Presses

Any of you guys do these? For those of you who use db's higher than 120lbs will know why I am asking. Being able to bring the db's closer to each other to help contract the middle of the pecs. Is pec development any better with this method? Can't use as much weight with these is the only down point that I see.

your more powerful with a pronated grip b/c that is how your put together! I understand your desire to "squeeze the muscle" but you can get the same level of contraction by focusing while your doing the lift (well almost).

Keeping your hands in a Neutral posistion can infact REDUCE the ammount of activation that you get from your chest if you let your elbows do what they want (stay pointed tward your feet). *side note* I always get a small grin when I see people doing db chest press with a prone-to-neurtal type of motion. when your elbows drop your triceps and choulders (even the long head of the bicep) get more involved and take the load from the chest. People "feel" like it works better because they actuall visualize squeezing and the hightened NMA takes effect. SOME people are actually aware of this and are able to keep their elbows in the correct posistion and just rotate at the wrist.

"why do we do fly's with a neutral grip?" well a number of reasons ...but it is usually performed with the elbos "UP" or out during the whole lift.

Ok ... well it is 8:59 and I am off @ 9 so I am going to cut this short.

anyway...if you want a more complete ROM with heavier wt's ... try doing some isolateral movements via groundZero equip or hammer strength ( try hammer with diff hand posistions .. you dont always have to have a closed grip).

IMO doing heavier weights when your body is out of it's intended path increases your risk of an overstress injury to the whole supporting cast (specificly the RC group).

--forgive me if this sounds too closed minded...but science tends to do that to me...and I do acknoledge that innovation through trial and error is what has made this a sport a sport at all.

now it's time for some pigion toed sumo style squats
    :drunk:

Comment

call me naive but what exactly do u guys mean when you say "neutral grip"? is that like a suicide grip(not wrapping your thumbs around weight but resting bar or DB on the base of the palm of your hand

Comment

Originally posted by MDAM21
        call me naive but what exactly do u guys mean when you say "neutral grip"? is that like a suicide grip(not wrapping your thumbs around weight but resting bar or DB on the base of the palm of your hand
        Neutral is where your palms face each other. Like on flyes or close grip cable rows for example.

Comment

ahhh i got ya. so your doin a nuetral grip bench? i do that with DB incline sometimes. its a nice change of pace

Comment

Working...
          X