So I swam some laps in the pool today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I swam some laps in the pool today

I decided to take up lap swimming instead of running:D Man was that a work out. My arms have never been that dead along with my legs. I swam for about 45 minutes and if that wont help me loose 10 lbs then I dont know what will.

swimming is a killer workout. i swim 2x a week. for me, it is the best exersize.

Comment

everytime i swim i always end up taking a nap. Too tired afterwards. Since u working out so much the arms and the body, u sweat like crazy but dont notice it since ur in water.:)

Comment

It's always great to change up from running to swimming. Swimming puts less stress on the body from the lack of impact. However, I was reading on another board about how lots of swimming causes the skin to hold more subcutaneous fat.

Comment

I miss swimming so much. that is why i hate not living near water (and raining everyday doesn't count). Best workout. When we visited niagra falls a few months ago I swam in the hotel pool and could barely move the next day. I love it.

Comment

i swam again today doing laps for about an hour. im so exhausted i fell asleep watching tv with my girl. i supposedly started snoring and it annoyed her. :rofl:

Comment

Originally posted by beefcake
              It's always great to change up from running to swimming. Swimming puts less stress on the body from the lack of impact. However, I was reading on another board about how lots of swimming causes the skin to hold more subcutaneous fat.
              i don't doubt you're citing your source correctly, but i will doubt the source if you don't mind! I've never seen or read of evidence of that nature, if you have any more info on that i'd love to read it! if you condition your body to regularly need insulation (i.e. if you're a member of the polar bear club) that would make sense, but if you're actually working out in the water and sweating it shouldn't be an issue. granted, most of the people who "exercise" in the water that i see attend water exercise classes and exercise their jaws while the instructor is the only one getting a work-out. and those women can be, shall we say, of odd bodily proportion and think that just attending a session, and not necessarilly participating will help them lose weight.

one of the other benefits of working out in a pool is that the hydrostatic pressure of the water will limit the increase in blood pressure placed on your body through the physical exertion. for some of you on thermogenics and AAS that can be a tangible benefit. i relied heavily on water exercise while coping with knee and shin injuries at one point, and the reduced impact was a god-send. the density of the water will create an all around increase in resistance, rather than just in the direction one is pushing the weight and that's why it can be so much more exhausting, it's a full body workout without quite seeming like one at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by hlcn8
                i don't doubt you're citing your source correctly, but i will doubt the source if you don't mind! I've never seen or read of evidence of that nature, if you have any more info on that i'd love to read it! if you condition your body to regularly need insulation (i.e. if you're a member of the polar bear club) that would make sense, but if you're actually working out in the water and sweating it shouldn't be an issue. granted, most of the people who "exercise" in the water that i see attend water exercise classes and exercise their jaws while the instructor is the only one getting a work-out. and those women can be, shall we say, of odd bodily proportion and think that just attending a session, and not necessarilly participating will help them lose weight.

one of the other benefits of working out in a pool is that the hydrostatic pressure of the water will limit the increase in blood pressure placed on your body through the physical exertion. for some of you on thermogenics and AAS that can be a tangible benefit. i relied heavily on water exercise while coping with knee and shin injuries at one point, and the reduced impact was a god-send. the density of the water will create an all around increase in resistance, rather than just in the direction one is pushing the weight and that's why it can be so much more exhausting, it's a full body workout without quite seeming like one at the time.
                This is a quote from gort, who looks like is a member here now.

"It is well known that humans are one of the few mammals that have subcutaneous fat. Dolphins, whales, and sea cows also have subcutaneous fat to help them float and to control their body temperature. It is thought that we have this layer from when our ancestors swam in the ocean.

When a human jumps in cold water, the water sucks the heat out of our skin. The capillaries in the skin contract to lessen the heat loss. Only the subcutaneous fat layer is left to prevent direct heat loss from the muscles and causing our body temperature to fall to dangerous levels (96 degrees).

The bodies response to cold water is to store subcutaneous fat to prevent heat loss. This will of course depend on genetics, time in the water, temperature of the water, and what other means are being taken to reduce bodyfat."

http://www.tsrf.com/articles/article_fitness.htm

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/...h/swimming.htm

Comment

interesting... does this include exercise in the water though? one would think heat loss isn't an issue if you're physically exerting oneself. i wish i had the body fat content of michael phelps et al., but that probably has a lot to do with genetics too.

Comment

okay, just read the articles, seeing there've been studies conducted to prove it and it's not just from a theory of evolution perspective tides over my doubts significantly better. thanks for the info beefcake!

Comment

ha...I just read this thread..but by the sounds of the last few posts you guys already had it figured out...swimming helps burn body fat...but ONLY on already VERY lean people...other than that ...it "protects" it and uses it like a wet suit...with not enough actuall blood flow to mobilize any of that fat to utilize for energy.

wow...now I guess I feel better.

Comment

define "very lean". cuz i like swimming and will do it, but only if it burns fat.

Comment

very lean like below 7% (normally they type of people that do not need to burn fat)...but even at that level of bf...it still protects what it has....I am sure you watched the olympics...who was more ripped ... the sprinters/400meter guys or the swimmers (sprint or longer races).

Swimming is GREAT exercise...it helps your endurance and is good for your joints (in moderation). But it is not all the industry had hoped for a number of years ago. It is great for advanced rehab (have to becareful of resisted ROM). If your lookin to get in shape + burn fat...there is another way to go...if your really lookin to burn fat the best exercise is tight control of the fork. The nutrition forum is a great resource for that (and is one of my weaker areas of knoledge)

Comment

wow bryan you slimed down alot, what did you do.

Ill tell you what to do PUT DOWN THE FORK!! FACE

Comment

Working...
                            X