more time, need training split

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more time, need training split

ok, got more time on my hands. would like a 5-6 day split. i usually lift within the 6- 10 rep range, 3-4 sets 3-4 exercises a body part. i do biis/tris , back/chest, legs/shoulders then on fourth day i will do abs. i also run 2 miles befor every workout. now that i know i will work out at least 5 times a week i need a new split. i still want to run before evryworkout exept the day after legs. do you guys think i should wolk only one major body part a day and then do bis tris the same day? if so how would you split up the week. i would say my legs r weakest. i was told to do the weakest body part in the begining of the week.thanks for the help.

well this has been up for a few days and still no replys. thanks guys. here is the prob. some places say train three times a week, some 5, some 6. i dont know what is best so please help me out here. i have searched this quite a bit, but still dont know what to do. i am 5'5 186 pound. i do hold fat in my midsectoin, but run about 2 miles 6 times a week b4 lifting, and i am nutural. please give me a little info. usually lift two body parts a day 3-5 days a week. now i know i will be able to lift up to 6 days if needed. please help me out. thanx

Comment

First I wouldn't recomend running before your workout. Maybe around a 10 min warmup but no more. Running the 2 miles will deplete your glycogen levels and you won't have the quick recovery needed for lifting. I like the idea of working your weakest body part first, but not because it's weakest. That's usually the part that is least motivating and come the end of the week your most likely to skip it. As far as your splits go your going to have to try different things to see what works best for you and keeps you motivated. There's many different ones. I'll post some ideas up and you see what looks good to you. You can switch up the days of parts so many ways. The more you seperate it, the shorter your workouts are going to be, so don't go in there thinking you have to spend an hour and end up over training. I picked Sunday's as a complete day off because that's usaully when people are off work, doing their family things, sports watching, ect.

Mon - Legs
      Tues - Chest
      Wed - Rest may be needed since these are larger body parts. Cardio 45 mins
      Thur - Arms (Bi's, Tri's, Forarms), Cardio 30 mins
      Fri - Shoulders and Back, Cardio 30 mins.
      Sat - Cardio 45 mins
      Sun - Rest completely

Mon - Legs
      Tues - Chest
      Wed - Arms, 30 mins Cardio
      Thur - Shoulders, 30 mins Cardio
      Fri - Back, 30 mins Cardio
      Sat - 45 mins cardio
      Sun - Rest

Mon - Chest, 30 mins Cardio
      Tue - Bi's. 30 mins Cardio
      Wed - Tri's 30 mins Cardio
      Thur - Shoulders, 30 mins Cardio
      Fri - Back, (Depending on how conditioned your legs are from cardio. If there going to be tight and a little sore when stretching them, you might want to wait till your legs are conditioned a little more) 30 mins Cardio
      Sat - Legs
      Sun - Rest

Comment

first off, thanks shibby for some help. the prob is i always find it hard to run after lifting. i try it and my lifts go up and i feel strong but after a month or two i start getting fat from missing cardio, this might work since i was always trying to run after two body parts. i night be able to do this if only doing 1 body part a day. the only prob i c is running after back, deads really get my lower back tight, usually will cramp when runnig after doing them. think i am going to try #2, or start getting up early to run on an empty stomach. thanx i will let you know how it goes

Comment

Just make sure and stretch your back out real well after doing deads. That may help with the running. As far as not having the energy to run after lifting, are you focusing on trying to improve your cardiovasular system or burn fat?

Comment

burn fat

Comment

i know i could just go for the brisk walk, but that would add quite a bit of time to cardio, i like to do two miles and thats it, unless i am not lifting that day. any other suggetions would be great, thanks man.

Comment

For fat burning you don't need to get your heart rate up over 120bpm (aprox. it varies from person to person). You need more oxygen in your blood to oxidise the fat cells and burn them as energy.

Comment

Re: more time, need training split

Originally posted by njlovehandles
                  ok, got more time on my hands. would like a 5-6 day split. i usually lift within the 6- 10 rep range, 3-4 sets 3-4 exercises a body part. i do biis/tris , back/chest, legs/shoulders then on fourth day i will do abs. i also run 2 miles befor every workout. now that i know i will work out at least 5 times a week i need a new split. i still want to run before evryworkout exept the day after legs. do you guys think i should wolk only one major body part a day and then do bis tris the same day? if so how would you split up the week. i would say my legs r weakest. i was told to do the weakest body part in the begining of the week.thanks for the help.
                  #1 If you have time on your hands buy some of the books on this site www.exercisecertifcation.com and read so you can learn to train yourself. The fact you have extra time on your hands does not mean you have to be in the gym. #2 Don't give biceps/triceps their own day. Most likely your legs won't be the best if you are running 10 miles a week. I think you said that you were running to burn fat which IMO is NOT a good idea. Use your diet to lose weight and the gym to put muscle on. Cardio should be done for exactly that reason Cardiovascular health. I can't see any reason to do more than three gym workouts a week and that would be for a novice who is new to the lifting experience. after that I would say a workout every 3 days minimum would be a good starting point.

Comment

Re: Re: more time, need training split

Originally posted by stonecold54
                    #1 If you have time on your hands buy some of the books on this site www.exercisecertifcation.com and read so you can learn to train yourself. The fact you have extra time on your hands does not mean you have to be in the gym. #2 Don't give biceps/triceps their own day. Most likely your legs won't be the best if you are running 10 miles a week. I think you said that you were running to burn fat which IMO is NOT a good idea. Use your diet to lose weight and the gym to put muscle on. Cardio should be done for exactly that reason Cardiovascular health. I can't see any reason to do more than three gym workouts a week and that would be for a novice who is new to the lifting experience. after that I would say a workout every 3 days minimum would be a good starting point.

:agree: yup good advice and i agree bro.

Comment

havent been around the computer much, but wanted to stir this up again.
                      i actually have been spending less time in the gym since only training one body part per day. I dont know if im more than a novice, but i have been lifting for ten years on and off. so feel than i need to work a body part at least once a week. Which i might add has been working out well for the past month. my weights have gone up a bit, and i always feel stronger compared to doing two body parts a day, and hitting them twice a week. I think the recovery time helps a lot. So it seems like my diet is the real problem. What would be a good diet for someone who wants lo lose about 25 pounds over the course of the next 6 months, with minimal strength loss. Thanks for the help guys

Comment

Working...
                      X