bench press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bench press

I was working out with an older weight lifting veteran the other week and he gave me some advice on bench pressing methods. He told me that you should only lower the bar until your triceps are parallel with the floor, he stated that this concentrates on the chest muscles and stops the shoulders from doing some of the work.

I have tried it a few times and my chest doesnt seem to get as sore as it used to...

Any comments about this technique

No matter what you do, the anterior delt will be involved in the press. I had a similiar post about this about going down and touching your chest with the bar. I feel stopping at 90 degrees doesn't recruit all the muscles fibers since it's not a full rom.

Comment

I agree with beefcake. I always touch my chest, stop then press. 90 degrees does nothing for me

Comment

for me i always touch my chest and dont bounce it cause thats called cheating. When it touches i raise up slowly and then bring down slowly.

Comment

Re: bench press

Originally posted by swollenmember
          I was working out with an older weight lifting veteran the other week and he gave me some advice on bench pressing methods. He told me that you should only lower the bar until your triceps are parallel with the floor, he stated that this concentrates on the chest muscles and stops the shoulders from doing some of the work.

I have tried it a few times and my chest doesnt seem to get as sore as it used to...

Any comments about this technique
          soreness is from injury whether micro or macro trauma. Don't judge a workout by soreness. The bench press will never be JUST a chest exercise. You can't move the weight with out your triceps and shoulders. The best way to get the most out of it would be to do set of flyes or crossovers. Then immediatley do your bench press. that way your chest muscles will be fatigued and be at a lower strength level so they will get more out of the bench press than if they were at full strenght since normally the tricep and shoulders are the weak link.

Comment

I bounce it off my chest

Comment

Originally posted by Slashmonay
              I bounce it off my chest

Comment

I bounce it off my chest
                try your forehead next time.

Comment

I bounce it off my chest
                  dont do that man, thats a big NO NO. Just let it touch a bit and go up slowly, try that and u will see a 100% difference:)

Comment

There's a reason why the bench pressing at powerlifting meets requires the bar to touch the chest and a 1 sec pause. :agree:

Comment

Originally posted by beefcake
                      There's a reason why the bench pressing at powerlifting meets requires the bar to touch the chest and a 1 sec pause. :agree:
                      yep it's called a standard

if powerlifters were concerned with chest dev. they wouldn't wear Z shirts

I stop just shy of my chest...(1-2 inches). keeping my shoulders locked down and back...Focus is the key in my opinion.

Comfort is the key...you have to have a concious involvement in the lift.... I no longer pwr lift so I get to play with works best. I will tell you that every one is different.

Comment

Originally posted by JUICE
                        dont do that man, thats a big NO NO. Just let it touch a bit and go up slowly, try that and u will see a 100% difference:)
                        I tend to bounce humor around ... I think he might also

Comment

3-1-3, period. Three seconds down, 1 second pause, touching your chest, then 3 seconds up. Plus, you don't have to use massive poundages to get a good pump and good results. Make sure you warm up first, very warm. I like to do 5 sets of cable crossovers with a medium weight to get warm, then pyramid to about 315, then back, total of about 10 sets, adding then subtracting 20lbs each set, up and down. Then 5 sets of flyes. That's all you need for chest, basic chest, you can add inclines and declines later. If you don't get sore, increase the weight for the crossovers and flyes. If you're working your chest correctly, you will get sore, regardless of what the so called experts say, until you get to the point of really being able to handle VERY heavy weight easily. BB

Comment

but it depends on what your goals are. 3-1-3 is a great method, but i think "3-1-3 period.." is a little extreme. there are different goals behind lifting. like pure strength for example, i bring the weight down with complete control in about 2 sec. stop an inch above my chest, pause and push up with as much power as i can, keeping my form strict. but i am lifting to become stronger and just let the size come with it. as opposed to lifting slower with higher reps to get bigger

Comment

Originally posted by bonebreaker
                              If you don't get sore, increase the weight for the crossovers and flyes. If you're working your chest correctly, you will get sore, regardless of what the so called experts say, until you get to the point of really being able to handle VERY heavy weight easily. BB
                              soreness is not an indication of anything but injury. has nothing to do with the quality of your workout. If you sprain your ankle it will be sore but does not mean that you are going to grow. progress is the only means of judging whether something is working or not. that means meticulous log book keeping.

Comment

Working...
                              X