wasn't sure where to post this but, regarding the clavicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wasn't sure where to post this but, regarding the clavicle

Since Tuesday of this week my right clavicle has been protruding.

This has never, ever happened to me & I used to use around 265lbs for severl reps on incline bench & 125's for DB presses.

Last Monday I tried a new chest cable exercise for the upper chest area.

I used 2 rope attachments & adjusted the cables to shoulder level not higher as you would normally use for regular cable crossovers.

& I would stretch the ropes back behind my shoulders & squeeze the ropes together flexing my upper chest.

Then on Tuesday night I noticed that my right clavicle was protruding.

I went for an X-Ray & they said nothing appears to be dislocated & I'm in no pain what so ever. But they would have to further look into it to varify.

So they gave me Celebrex a non steroidal anti-inflammitory & it seems to help the clavicle reduce in size.

The doctor believes it's some sort of swelling/inflammation of the surrounding tissues.

They said to refrain from chest & shoulder workouts until it goes down.

Any suggestions of what could've happened?

that sounds weird. if you have no pain but it is swollen. don't know what to tell you. hope it heals up on its own.

Comment

Yeah it's totally weird.

I think that upper chest fly cable modified exercise I did strained something.

I asked one guy who I train with who says it looks like a pinched nerve that's been strained.

i've asked a few ppl in the gym I see & they say that if it was just the clavicle that was dislocated I wouldn't even be able to do a side lateral raise motion w/o weight.

It doesn't hurt at all, but the doctor said to take a week or so away from chest & shoulders.

Do you think that doing heavy barbell rows for back would put strain on this area? Or should I do just some light machine rowing?

I did biceps today & I plan on doing my leg presses & hams tomorrow with Wednesday a day off, but not sure what to do for back on Thursday?

The Celebrex they gave me seems to be shrinking the area slowly.

Comment

No one has any other ideas?

I can move my arms in a chest pressing & shoulder pressing motion with no pain so the clavicle can't be dislocated at this point?

Thanks.

Comment

it could be inflamation, or it could be a burst blood vessel in the tissue. just as a subdermal hematoma can cause an elevation of the skin and surrounding tissue, the same might've happened in your case though i obviously can't say for sure.

Comment

Have you broken your collar bone before? I ask because I broke both of mine in an accident and everyonce in a while I get some swelling without the pain. Then of course I someimes get pain and no swelling.

Comment

Megiddo

Have you broken your collar bone before? I ask because I broke both of mine in an accident and everyonce in a while I get some swelling without the pain. Then of course I someimes get pain and no swelling.
              No never. Nor have I ever had shoulder injuries before or tears.

hlcn8

it could be inflamation, or it could be a burst blood vessel in the tissue. just as a subdermal hematoma can cause an elevation of the skin and surrounding tissue, the same might've happened in your case though i obviously can't say for sure.
              That's exactly what the doctor said, some sort of inflammation.
              But the burst blood vessel theory could also be possible.

I guess these things will take time to heal?

Should I refrain from chest & shoulder exercises for awhile?

I missed this weeks chest workout & not sure if I should do shoulders tomorrow on Saturday?

Thanks.

Comment

Anyone else?

All I can say is this clavicle area is going back down now slowly & doesn't hurt at all.

It's been 2 weeks since I've done incline bench & standing military presses & I will return this week to both

Comment

Nobody?

Comment

I have had a similar problem before. The clavicle at the end is held with ligaments and cartilage. Sometimes when the shoulder gets our of alignment it will lose stability and allow the bone to point forward or outward. I am not sure if this is what is happening to you, but it could be possible. If it is going down then things could be going back into place. My clavile was worked back into place with therapy. I was going flyes on a ball and for some reason I pulled back to far the shoulder shifted forward and my clavicle was protruding outward. I could actually feel the bone.

I am not sure if this is what you have but the doctors should be able to see the bone on the xray protruding out if this was it. If not then it could be inflamation. For me the bone actually was shown pointing forward.

Comment

There is such a thing as an AC seperation, and it has 5 different stages......1 being the least painful, and 5 being the extreme. Acromioclaviclar seperation. It's the tendons which hold the sholder blade to the clavical, and they can tear if stretched to far, or jolted by force. I had a stage 2 after a sport accident. I fell on my left shoulder while fielding a ball back in July of this year. I would have an orthoepeadic doctor take a look at it, as a normal doctor may not know what he is looking at.

Comment

stixs

My clavile was worked back into place with therapy. I was going flyes on a ball and for some reason I pulled back to far the shoulder shifted forward and my clavicle was protruding outward. I could actually feel the bone.

I am not sure if this is what you have but the doctors should be able to see the bone on the xray protruding out if this was it. If not then it could be inflamation. For me the bone actually was shown pointing forward.
                        Well that's what i thought happened to me when I was doing cable flies with the calbes set at the shoulder level with rope ends.

But I had it X-Rayed & the doctor said they didn't see anything abnormal with the bone itself.

The doctor said it looks more like swelling or inflmmation of some sort of the tissue in the surrounding area.

They were going to have radiology double check it & call me if there was a problem with the bone & they haven't called.

I will call them today to see if anything came up.

Thanks for your input.

Comment

I agree with BENCH355ANIMAL, I actually went to see a orthopeadic doctor also, sometimes a regular doctor will not see things that a sports doctor would see. My regular doctor gave me ant-inflammatories and told me to rest. The ortho doc is the one who put me in therapy to work it back in place. Definitely see a sport ortho is you have not already.

Comment

Working...
                          X