Shoulder PAIN!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoulder PAIN!!

I have been trying to work through some pretty nasty shoulder pain. I can't Bench anything on the flat. I prefer doing all my shoulder presses palms in log press style because if I go wide the pain is not worth it. Has anyone else had this and if so what did you do about it. I thought it might just be old rotator cuff injuries coming back.:(

Re: Shoulder PAIN!!

Originally posted by tireflipper
    I have been trying to work through some pretty nasty shoulder pain. I can't Bench anything on the flat. I prefer doing all my shoulder presses palms in log press style because if I go wide the pain is not worth it. Has anyone else had this and if so what did you do about it. I thought it might just be old rotator cuff injuries coming back.:(
    how did you injure your rotator? is it that or are your delts hurting when you train? You might need to take 2 weeks or so off to let your shoulder to repair itself. :(

Comment

Re: Shoulder PAIN!!

Originally posted by tireflipper
      Sorry to hear about the shoulder, I can sympathize.

I had the same pain in my right shoulder, after trying every workaround I could find, I fiannly had to take a 2 month lay off doing anything that involved that that shoulder, so no Chest,Delts, even Back... needless to say my legs benefitted greatly :D

V

Comment

are you pressing behind your neck or in front of it??

Comment

I had the same problem about a year ago,and I pretty much had to lay off barbell exercises of any kind for chest or shoulders.A few things that helped me:
          1-as you have discovered,keeping the palms facing each other(like with the shoulder press,and even the dumbell bench press)recruits almost exclusively the pecs and/or delts,and removes most of the emphasis on the rotator cuff.I actually learned this from a Westside Barbell seminar.you won't go as heavy at first,though.
          2-I found that if I really warmed up my rotator cuffs before doing chest and shoulders that it really helped.There are some really good exercises that strengthen the rotator cuff-just do a web search
          3-I found a sports massage therapist who did several deep tissue massages on my shoulders and upper back-this really helped.
          4-if it hurts-stop.I also took about 6 weeks off from any kind of serious weight training for my chest and shoulders.It sucked,but it was worth it in the long run.

Comment

Ouch!
            I have been dealing with shoulder pain. I has not been hindering my training, but it is extremely painful when I am trying to sleep.
            BTW, it's both my shoulders. Glucosomine has not been helping much.
            I warm up and stretch for 25 min before training chest and shoulders.
            I'm sorry, I know how you feel.

Comment

Unfortunately for the rotator cuff, nothing will work other than rest. Lay off any exercise that causes pain and take ibuprofen for the pain. In my case, it took about a month of no exercise that involved the chest, shoulders or raising my arms above my shoulders. So I stuck to bis, tris, abs and legs.

Also, you may want to do rotator cuff exercises before you start your workout. Do a google search for rotator cuff exercises and you will get many hits. They are very effective in warming up your rotator cuff muscles so that you are less likely to experience discomfort during your workout, as well as strengthening them long-term so that you don't injure them again.

Comment

I read somewhere that rotator cuff injury is one of the worst type you can get because it takes forever to heal and even when it does, its very likely to come back. Is this true?

Comment

Working...
                X