Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• symmetry

Hi guys,

I noticed recently, while standing in front of the mirror shaving, that the right side of my upper body is a little smaller than the left side. My left side is actually a little stronger too, which seems strange to me as I'm right handed. What is the most effective way to correct this?

Thanks

I got the same problem, in that my left is bigger and a bit stronger although I am right-handed. Only in the arms though.....

Comment

Do isolation type exercise with dumbells or machines, and try to push out more reps with your smaller side.

For example:

Standing DB Curls: Do 15 reps, but then shoot for 20 with your weaker arm.

Same can be said for shoulder presses, raises, and bench press movements for chest. As long as you're using DB instead of the barbell, you can isolate each side of your body and force each to do the same amount of work. When you use a barbell, you help your weaker side out by pushing the majority of the weight with your strong side, thus not stimulating the weaker side.

Does that make sense?

Comment

Yeah, that makes sense.

Use the same amount of weight each side, just increase the reps on the weaker side?

What about adding say, 10 more lbs to one side of the bar, or is that a bad idea?

Comment

I wouldn't do it on heavy exercises where you could increase the possibilty of losing balance, but for high rep exercises....why not. Make sure you keep the bar parallel, and not let it fall below the strong arm.

Comment

No matter how hard you try your body will never be perfectly symetrical. Also the lighting when your looking at yourself in the mirror can make each side seem different. If it's taken you this long to notice then it's probably not as bad as you think. Others probably wouldn't even notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby
              No matter how hard you try your body will never be perfectly symetrical. Also the lighting when your looking at yourself in the mirror can make each side seem different. If it's taken you this long to notice then it's probably not as bad as you think. Others probably wouldn't even notice.
              Agreed. Your dmininant side is always going to be bigger than the other.

Comment

Yeah, I guess it bothers me more that my right side isn't as strong as my left. What's the best way to equal that out?

Comment

higher reps, drop sets just your basic volume training

Comment

Working...
                  X