Would going heavy on Military Presses increase my size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would going heavy on Military Presses increase my size

Cause I was just doing regular weight, something that I thought was heavy which was like 110 pounds. Today I said fuck it, I aint gonna grow this way so I put 170 and did several reps. I felt them explode, havent had this feeling in a while.

This is what I did:

Dumbell Presses( 40 pound dumbells): 3 sets of 10 reps

Front Military (170 pounds): 3 sets of 5-8 reps

Side Lateral Raises( 25 pound dumbells) 3 sets of 10 reps

thats all what do u all think?:)

I like to hit my dumbell presses heavy. Like 70lbs. Is your front military press on a smith machine?

Comment

My delts got big doing heavy seated barbell presses......they are always first on m y shoulder day

Comment

I gained the most size doing dumbell presses and barbell shoulder press (not military). I've got pretty good genetics for my delts, but I don't push it too much on the presses (I won't do more than 110's on my dumbells, though I'm hitting that for 8 and have been doing that for awhile). What I do like doing is getting under a smith machine that goes straight up and down (no slope) and loading up the bar. I feel comfortable going up to 275 for shoulder presses on the smith, 225 for the military presses on it, and it seems to be working pretty well bro. Safer without a partner too.

Comment

My delts only responded once I started using a high volume of sets, reps are generally in the 5-8 range, and I like to keep the rest period short.

Comment

Re: Would going heavy on Military Presses increase my size

Originally posted by THE JUICE
            Cause I was just doing regular weight, something that I thought was heavy which was like 110 pounds. Today I said fuck it, I aint gonna grow this way so I put 170 and did several reps. I felt them explode, havent had this feeling in a while.

This is what I did:

Dumbell Presses( 40 pound dumbells): 3 sets of 10 reps

Front Military (170 pounds): 3 sets of 5-8 reps

Side Lateral Raises( 25 pound dumbells) 3 sets of 10 reps

thats all what do u all think?:)
            Looks good to me except for somthing for rear delts. I would throw some bent over flies in there.(unless you do them another day.)

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby
              I like to hit my dumbell presses heavy. Like 70lbs. Is your front military press on a smith machine?

nope the old barlbell is what i use

Comment

Re: Re: Would going heavy on Military Presses increase my size

Originally posted by speedracer59
                Looks good to me except for somthing for rear delts. I would throw some bent over flies in there.(unless you do them another day.)
                yeha thats what im forgetting

Comment

I'll give you my wanna make you puke routine, 4 sets of each, 6-10 reps

Warm up with front laterals, and do a lot of stretching, especially in the hams and lower back

start off with:
                  -clean, snatch, and press(nothing will ad mass to the upper body like this)

-Hammer strength seated press- uses the motion of a behind the nec press, which can increase rear deltoid strengtgh as well, but doesnt add the stress to the rotator cuff-

- Arnold dumbell presses- instead of doing both delts at one time, use the motion one hand at a time, it takes more stablization and concentration this way, and you will see if one delt is lagging behind the other

Side delts- work your way down the rack- set up the db's from 30lbs down to 5lbs, and keep going through pair dropping down 5lbs each time, until you hit the 5 pounders...6 reps, and 2 sets is more than enough

Rear delts- I prefer bent over rows for strength, and reverse pec dec for isolation

Comment

People dog behind the neck presses, but I have always done them and can go pretty heavy, never had any problem in my shoulder joint...yet!

Usually for shoulders I will do

4 x 6-10 behind neck (smith if possible) start around 210, go to 300.
                    4 x 6 - 10 DB presses - 100 - 120 lb

Side laterals - 4 10 - 12 35, very tight form, no momentum
                    rear delt raises - 4 x 10-12 30, as above

Comment

Originally posted by Doom
                      I'll give you my wanna make you puke routine, 4 sets of each, 6-10 reps

Warm up with front laterals, and do a lot of stretching, especially in the hams and lower back

start off with:
                      -clean, snatch, and press(nothing will ad mass to the upper body like this)

-Hammer strength seated press- uses the motion of a behind the nec press, which can increase rear deltoid strengtgh as well, but doesnt add the stress to the rotator cuff-

- Arnold dumbell presses- instead of doing both delts at one time, use the motion one hand at a time, it takes more stablization and concentration this way, and you will see if one delt is lagging behind the other

Side delts- work your way down the rack- set up the db's from 30lbs down to 5lbs, and keep going through pair dropping down 5lbs each time, until you hit the 5 pounders...6 reps, and 2 sets is more than enough

Rear delts- I prefer bent over rows for strength, and reverse pec dec for isolation

sounds good bro, i will give it a try

Comment

Standing military presses is basically all I do for my shoulders.

Comment

IMO, you should do whatever works for you. There are hundreds of possible ways to work delts i.e. high volume sets, high volume reps, low reps, low sets, flys, presses, single arm isolations and on and on and on.

The important thing is that you keep adding either weight or reps each time you workout. So if 170 military presses at 5-8 reps works, and you can continue to improve on that each time, then go for it. If not or you hit a sticking point, switch it up, decrease the weight and go with higher reps or switch to another exercise for a while and come back to it after a few weeks. Personally I've found that I increase best when doing 2 working sets to failure (after warm-up) at 10-15 reps, alternating exercises on a bi-weekly basis, but that's just me. What works for you is what you should go by.

Also, be aware of overtraining, doing presses, fly's and rear fly's all in the same workout can easily lead to overtraining for most people especially if not "on." Don't get caught up in the need to micromanage something that doesn't need it. Focus on increasing overall delt size, worry about bringing the rear dealts after your happy with your overall size.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the above advice is based on my reading and following of Iron Addicts articles posted on other sites. Props to IA.

cm

Comment

using free weights have worked great for me, I never really use the smith machine. I like to mix up some machines here and there too or some pulley exercises, but most of my size has come from hardcore free weights and db's. I like the sound of doom's workout. Looks good to me.

Comment

upright rows make my delts grow like a mofo.

Comment

Working...
                              X