ROM on presses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROM on presses

Pretty much everything i've read and done on presses is stopping right before lockout to keep the tri's as much out of the picture as possible. But then I saw ronnie colemans movie cost of redemption and I notice on his shoulder and chest presses, he has a very short range of motion, like only from the bottom to about half way up. Then I notice there's a couple of yoked bastards at my gym that use this same ROM. Does this help keep the stress on the pec or delts more than going up a little bit more would?

It's all about feel IMO. Ronnie also uses a lot of his back to do laterals and his shoulders are huge; that doesn't mean that it should be done that way. Kind of play with your ROM and see where your comfort level is. You will know where you feel the most stress.

WM

Comment

I agree--I just play with everything to see what I can do to maximize the effectiveness for my body and stick with it. Unfortunately, I don't have Ronnies body so what works for him may not work for me! I almost always try something new I see that may make sense and work but if it doesn't give results, I go back to what I've learned works for me.

Comment

I see a few guys at my gym benching like that too, one of them is a beast. I have also seen Louie in Pumping Iron doing his military presses like that. Ask them what ROM they used to get where they are and you may find something different.

Comment

Well, I tried this method tonight on the bb presses. I must admit that I got a great pump in the chest from it, and usually when I bench, I don't feel like my chest is getting everything, it just doesn't feel the burn and fatigue that I want it to. I keep feeling like something else is giving out before the pecs do, like the tri's, even when I pre-fatigue them. I was feeling the burn and stretch in the pecs tonight though, so it felt pretty good, but now after the workout, I feel really sore in tri's though. Pecs are sore too, but the tri's never were this sore before. I'm not totally sold, but i'll try it out next week on the db's and see what comes of it.

Comment

Working...
          X