155-185lb'rs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 155-185lb'rs

I know this is a bit of an invasive question, but I was wondering if some of you guys that are in this weight category might post up some stats. Just wondering what kind of strength advantage I would have, if any, if I were to be in this weight class. I know that these aren't deciding factors, but I would like to know though. If you could post stuff like what weight you're pressing for stuff like bench press, shoulder press, deadlifts, squats, that would really be appreciated.

back in my wrestling days I was at 135 natural wgt 150ish... a few times mid season for shits and grins(non conference) I would wrestle 145, I would win, but I could tell i needed to use more skill than strength... 10lbs made a huge difference

K

Comment

Originally posted by beefcake
      I know this is a bit of an invasive question, but I was wondering if some of you guys that are in this weight category might post up some stats. Just wondering what kind of strength advantage I would have, if any, if I were to be in this weight class. I know that these aren't deciding factors, but I would like to know though. If you could post stuff like what weight you're pressing for stuff like bench press, shoulder press, deadlifts, squats, that would really be appreciated.
      i'm 190lbs and 20 years old

i bench 225 5 times, on a good day i can push a 6 or 7th, on others i can only get it 3 or 4 times

i would guess i can max around 250-255 but i haven't maxed out for a long long while on a regular bench because i normally don't have a spotter

if i use one of those cybex eagle bench press machines i can bench 310 on those

DB shoulder press i use 60lbs because that's the heaviest i have but i've all but stopped doing shoulder exercises because i'm going to therapy for a rotator cuff impingement and i do enough rehabbing that that it works everything good enough

leg press machine i can go 430lbs 5 to 10times...i think if i were to really push myself i could do 10 everytime

squats, once again i dont max out here because of no spotter..today the heaviest i went was 250 and did it 5 times, but my legs felt like jello....i actually quit doing squats after i got out of high school and just stuck with extensions, ham curls, leg press, deads because i didn't have anything to squat with.......i can't lift 250lbs over my head and throw it on my shoulders lol..

dead lifts i stick around 250-280..if i maxed out i could probably get 320 give or take 20lbs..I feel alot more comfortable with these opposed to squats, i feel i can handle alot more weight...when i squat my legs often feel like they're about to give out

i can curl 45lb DB's 10 times, for my size i think biceps/forearms are my strength

Comment

at a competitive grappling wgt, expect a lot more... its not offense taylor but usually those who compete at 155-185 are gonna be around 180-215ish but massive strength. The important thing is the balance between strength and wgt, When i cut a few times to 130 I was so weak from dieting the 5 extra lbs that I barely had enuf strength to win by points, its only 5 lbs but wow, the problem is or well the balance is how much can u drop to make weigh in and not sacrafice a large portion of your strength. dropping 15lbs in one day can make a monster an absolute weakling. usually dropping 7 in one day was fairly easy and still kept most of my strength around 10 i started to rely on skill and stall tactics, lots of small rides takedowns let ups, no tech's but safe points margin
        The other thing beefcake is hgt, how tall are you, 5-10 and up at 185 is light imo and good luck goin against a 5-5to5-7 guy with a lower center of gravity and more muscle mass, Lot's to keep in mind but after a few simulated sparing matches you will easily tell what wgt is the best combo for size and strength

K

Comment

im not a wrestler or a boxer, i was just close to the weight class so i thought i'd respond

Comment

155lbs and natural.

DB Press: 80 x 8
            DB Shoulder Presses: 45 x 8
            Barbell Bicep Curls: 80 x 8
            Tri Skullcrushers (with EZ Bar): 75 x 8

When I used to have more barbell routines, I could benchpress 225 x 4 and behind the neck barbell shoulder presses with 115 x 8

Nothing mindblowing, I agree, but I have been making steady progress and getting stronger over the years, so at 39 years old, natural and vegetarian, I am pretty happy with my results ... lol...

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumhalf
              I am pretty happy with my results
              That's really all that matters. Congratulations and keep making progress. I can't imagine how you get enough protein being vegetarian!

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor
                im not a wrestler or a boxer, i was just close to the weight class so i thought i'd respond
                nah taylor its kool, just like when u see hardcore wrestling and full contact fighting the wgt class issue is crucial that balance is the key to success.
                Imagine being hit by a 150lb guy vs a 220 lb guy its just that concept yet u can hide your potential strength by dieting

K

Comment

Cool, thanks for all the posts guys. Really helps out. Especially the detail taylor. I'm down from 215 to 205 right now. I'm figuring I can probably cardio my way to 190 and then from there, cut water weight down to 169. Hopefully i'll keep most of my strength at that weight but who knows. I'm 5' 11". Not that tall, but like you said num1, smaller guys are going to have an advantage. My deadlift and squat numbers are pretty good, so hopefully that'll give me an edge for when it comes to slamming guys on the mat.

Comment

Originally posted by BBAddict
                    That's really all that matters. Congratulations and keep making progress. I can't imagine how you get enough protein being vegetarian!
                    Thanks! Getting enough protein is one of my biggest struggles. Lentils and milk help as I am a lactovegetarian and protein shakes too, but there are only so many of them I can stand in a day...lol...

Comment

Originally posted by beefcake
                      Cool, thanks for all the posts guys. Really helps out. Especially the detail taylor. I'm down from 215 to 205 right now. I'm figuring I can probably cardio my way to 190 and then from there, cut water weight down to 169. Hopefully i'll keep most of my strength at that weight but who knows. I'm 5' 11". Not that tall, but like you said num1, smaller guys are going to have an advantage. My deadlift and squat numbers are pretty good, so hopefully that'll give me an edge for when it comes to slamming guys on the mat.
                      The biggest problem I had was the constant tearing of muscles and never gettin enough cals to repair them during the season,2 matches a week with tourneys every other weekend, I hope to hell that you are doin matches once a month or longer, this will give you ample time to heal and like you said once you figure out how much water you can drop then you can see your fatigue levels, I would really suggest you do a sparing match as you would a real match with weighins etc and really try to go the whole 10 mins (or 2, 5 min sessions)
                      I'm not sure the time table after weigh-ins, but the longest I ever had in a tourney was 3 hrs after weigh in and I still felt like junk, but potasium suplementation helped so much with that, just a word of caution when dropping higher amounts of water watch the kidney function, esp being on AAS,

but good luck though,hopefully your grapling skills are sharp and the rest will fall into place

K

Comment

Originally posted by num1son
                        esp being on AAS,
                        ive never been on the roids neither beef, forgot to mention that

Comment

I squat 315x8, or 345-355x3 sometimes, bench 305x3, and deadlift about the same as I squat. I'm competing as a middleweight (176.25) in my next show, in 6 weeks. I'm 184 now, and I should get down without much trouble. I was 167.8 when I competed in June

Comment

Originally posted by rado
                            beef- you wrestle?

or is it MMA?

MMA

Comment

Currently 186lbs, I'm 25 @ 5'9". Bench = 260 x 6 (Good day), Squat 335 x 8, Shoulder press 200lbs x 6; DB Press 90lbs for 6 reps and deadlift 500lbs for 5 reps.

WM

Comment

Working...
                              X