new workout idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new workout idea

Ok so i've been doin the 1 a day workouts real heavy... gettin lots of rest, chest legs and back growin mad style but bi's and tri's not reactin as well even though i just IGF'd it. Would I still be potentially over training if I hit bi's/tri's on same day and did it 2x a week instead of one. Always on test, diet is a bulker, I'm just still not gettin the arms where I want them, I realize they are a smaller muscle group and that rest is critical but cmon now the rest of me grows like a weed and the arms grow like crap.

K

I have the same problem as well. Tri's are good, but bi's and traps just aren't cutting it the way i'd like them too. I'm starting to believe that lighter weight on the bi's is the key.

Comment

traps I'm AG, but tri's and bi's kick my ass... I worry if I am still over training them since the rest of me is growing, but i have noticed I have more strength in my chest and back workouts from my increase in arm strength and size

K

Comment

IMO, bis 2x/wk and back 1x/wk would basically be bis 3x/wk. If you were to do it one other time, as long as you're on gear, what if you did some bis after your back workout?

Comment

like a lil extra to supplement? instead of doin a whole workout?

K

Comment

Yeah, maybe like 6sets of bis after a back workout. I'm just thinking that if you wanna hit your bis 2x/wk, which I definitely understand and have seen decent results from at times, then it's probably best to work one in with your back. Otherwise, like I was saying, you're kinda hitting them 3x. At least for me, my bis actually are pretty sore the day after a back workout, so they're definitely getting hit pretty good.

On a side note but related, I'm personally convinced that recovery and repair time of different muscle groups is different for different people depending on a number of factors, including ratio of fast twitch to slow twitch muscles. That would mean that the ideal time between workouts for different muscle groups would be different, so working out 1x/wk could be undertraining for one muscle and overtraining for another. For example, my quads are still really sore tonight from my Sunday workout, but my bis would never be sore this long after a workout. I'm thinking about trying to put together a workout that would take this into account but it could be tough. If I saw the right results though, it could be worth it.

Comment

yah im thinkin the same thing might be true for me I gotta experiment and find out whats up, I'll prob try the extra sets after back thing for 4 weeks and see whats up

K

Comment

I have tried different approaches and honestly didn't like grouping bi's and tri's with anything. People can go back and forth on this subject all day long. Some say that just b/c you lift as much weight by the time you get to arms is a sign that they have already been working hard and don't need but a few more sets to complete the workout. I agree to a certain extent. You could say the same thing about chest and shoulders or legs and back..You could say that you are using your delts with some chest movements so you only need a couple sets of shoulders to complete the workout. You could say that your back gets a workout from squats so you only need a few more sets of back to complete the workout.....Not likely.

My point is this; when working back YES your bi's do get some work, but so do your joints and all other supporting muscles. It is these supporting muscles and joints that you need to have a good QUALITY workout with bi's, but you can't b/c they are fatigued from your back workout. Same with chest and tri's.

I believe that matching up bi's and tri's with other bodyparts work fine with those that are genetically gifted and don't need that much work so they could probably grow without hitting bi's and tri's directly all together.

Don't get me wrong, by all means give it a try; It might work for you.

WM

Comment

I'm just expecting too much maybe but its frustrating since the rest of me is makin nice gains

K

Comment

Originally posted by num1son
                    I'm just expecting too much maybe but its frustrating since the rest of me is makin nice gains

K
                    List what you do for arms

Comment

straight bar curls 5 sets 6-8x135
                      preacher curls 4 sets 6x100-110 dependin on soreness
                      hammer curls 4 sets 10x70lb db
                      iso cable curs 4 sets 45lbs to failure(each arm)

triceps
                      narrow grip bench from 45degree to lockout 5 sets 8-325
                      cable ropes slow cadence at 95lbs 4 sets
                      iso cable ext 50lbs 6 sets to failure then 40 lbs to failure

K

Comment

straight bar curls 5 sets 6-8x135
                        preacher curls 4 sets 6x100-110 dependin on soreness
                        hammer curls 4 sets 10x70lb db
                        iso cable curs 4 sets 45lbs to failure(each arm)

triceps
                        narrow grip bench from 45degree to lockout 5 sets 8-325
                        cable ropes slow cadence at 95lbs 4 sets
                        iso cable ext 50lbs 6 sets to failure then 40 lbs to failure

K
                        DAMN! Well that's your answer right there buddy, you doing entirely too many sets for arms. That's actually more than what I was anticipating.

That's 17 sets for bi's and 15 sets of tri's to failure. At the most all you need is 9 sets for bi's and 9 for tri's..Three movements, three sets each.

I would take off of arms for completely for a month. After that start fresh with a new approach.

Comment

Originally posted by wheyman
                          DAMN! Well that's your answer right there buddy, you doing entirely too many sets for arms. That's actually more than what I was anticipating.

That's 17 sets for bi's and 15 sets of tri's to failure. At the most all you need is 9 sets for bi's and 9 for tri's..Three movements, three sets each.

I would take off of arms for completely for a month. After that start fresh with a new approach.
                          God, and this is my cut down workout i started about a month ago, so no direct contact with bi's or tris just with chest and back,use that as my only bi and tri stim...

K

Comment

I just have a deep fear of doin too little, i've gotten all my other parts down pat but just not the arms...its this fear of not doin enuf and it bothers me I don't know if i could mentally take a month off of arm training...

K

Comment

I just have a deep fear of doin too little, i've gotten all my other parts down pat but just not the arms...its this fear of not doin enuf and it bothers me I don't know if i could mentally take a month off of arm training...

K
                              I was the same way, but you arms are overtrained and they will not grow at this point. They need sufficient rest before you start to work them again. At this point you haven't been building them, you have just been tearing down muscle. I didn't think I could do it either, but you have to think about what you want. Do you want your arms to grow or do you not want them to grow, but feel good mentally b/c you hitting them?

WM

Comment

Working...
                              X