How much time off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much time off?

Apparently, I overworked my quads--at least that's the conclusion I came to after I couldn't walk normally for at least 3 days. I worked quads (squats, leg presses and extensions) 6 days ago and today is the first day I can standup and walk without pain in the muscle. I wish I could figure out what I did differently! I'm positive I didn't hurt anything because my knees never hurt and I didn't have a strained or pulled muscle feel, just an amplified pain in the muscle. I still have some tenderness to the touch and even trying to just do a bodyweight squat. I obviously shouldn't work them again yet.
    The question is, after a workout like that where I clearly overworked a muscle, how long do you guys think I should take off until the next workout?

I usually feel like that after a good leg day. I don't work legs again until there's no soreness left, which usually takes like 4-5 days. For me it seems it's the leg extensions that make my quads the sorest. I've noticed if I skip them, they aren't as sore as they would be.

Comment

Originally posted by beefcake
      I usually feel like that after a good leg day. I don't work legs again until there's no soreness left, which usually takes like 4-5 days. For me it seems it's the leg extensions that make my quads the sorest. I've noticed if I skip them, they aren't as sore as they would be.
      The thing is, I do leg extensions virtually every time. Nothing was different, except I think I did more sets of squats cause I was waiting for a powerlifter (several minutes between sets) to get off the leg press. I'm always sore after quad day, but not to the extent of not being able to walk virtually at all.

Comment

Originally posted by BBAddict
        The thing is, I do leg extensions virtually every time. Nothing was different, except I think I did more sets of squats cause I was waiting for a powerlifter (several minutes between sets) to get off the leg press. I'm always sore after quad day, but not to the extent of not being able to walk virtually at all.
        You must have really got into it. I'm always sore and end up walking all stiff like i've just had my a-hole violated. I haven't been working legs lately though cause it effects my running. Try doing some stretching to warm up the muscles. Usually helps me.

Comment

Originally posted by beefcake
          I'm always sore and end up walking all stiff like i've just had my a-hole violated.
          LOL! That's basically what it looked like after I could kinda walk again. Everybody asked me if the gay guy in our office got to me--to which he replied that he wished!
          My only guess is that I did get really into and pushed harder than normal. It sucked having to back off a little going into my fight, so I've been pushing hard since then--feels good to put on some weight and not worry about being worn down. I took 200mg of caffeine pre-workout and then sipped on an ABB drink that had 200mg caffeine during the workout. Maybe the caffeine and freshness in my legs made me push harder. I may just do 2wks between quad workouts cause it'll be about 8days after the first workout before the soreness is gone--or maybe I'll just do a lower-weight, high-speed, higher-rep workout.

Comment

I would say that would be it. the extra squatting sets could do that. as far as how much rest time waiting an extra day or two can't hurt.

Comment

BBAdict, what did you eat different? And what was the order you ate what you did? There are many factors that play a role in a kickass workout. Timing is everything. Good luck and REST up.

Comment

Originally posted by RedMeat
                BBAdict, what did you eat different? And what was the order you ate what you did? There are many factors that play a role in a kickass workout. Timing is everything. Good luck and REST up.
                I don't remember for sure what I ate-it was most likely chicken, sweet potato and an apple. I think part of the difference was that I had about 2x my normal amount of caffeine before/during the workout. I was really focused too and had a lot of pent up anger. Like you said, there's probably a lot of factors but I really kicked my ass!

Comment

caffeine= dehydration= crapms =prolonged soreness

K

Comment

:hmmm: That's possible that I got dehydrated cause of the caffeine and then went to a party and drank for the first time in longer than I can remember and didn't have enough water for how much alcohol I drank.

Comment

:hmmm: That's possible that I got dehydrated cause of the caffeine and then went to a party and drank for the first time in longer than I can remember and didn't have enough water for how much alcohol I drank.
                      That'll do it. That's happened to me a few times while snowboarding. We'd drink like hell the night before then go out and my legs would be shot from being dehydrated.

Comment

the truth comes out drinking is a big no no IMO, and the liquor will dehydrate u worse than the caffeine... just keep in mind if u ever do go out and drink to preload with lots of water and drink water between drinks to keep u properly hydrated,

K

Comment

Originally posted by num1son
                          drinking is a big no no IMO,
                          I know, I know. It's been ages since I drank anything and I just needed a night to unwind. I didn't actually drink that much but my body is so unaccustomed to any amount of alcohol I think it hit me harder than I expected. I'll have to remember to drink more water when I drink again, in 2yrs!

Comment

Working...
                          X