My options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My options

Well after 8.5 months I have been cleared to lift as much as I can... To refresh I broke my collar bone and eventually had to have it plated and screwed together...

Here is my newest delimea... trying to do pull downs or wide grip chins is impossible with this plate... It is popping at my collar bone and although it does not hurt yet, I know it cant be good.. I will ask the doc when I see him in a month, but if I am unable to do these from here on out, do you think deads and the rest of my back workout will be good enough for width??

I have always done rows, deads, pull ups/chins, etc for my back and as i understand it we get our width from the pull down movements and thickness from the rowing and deads

Are there really any exercises that will get my back width back without doing these pull down type movements??

Thanks

Dude I had this same problem for a little while. It even prevented me form going all the way down on bench press. Seemed like too much strain on my clavicles. Eventually I just got used to it I guess as I don't really feel that much pain or stress.

Comment

Can you do pullup movements?

Comment

I don't think any rowing motion is gonna give you the same width. I think some sort of pullup motion is best, but like FB said, pullovers definitely hit the lats well too. If I do wide-grip rows after weighted pull-ups, I feel something in my lats, but I don't know if that would work the same without pre-fatiguing the lats.

Comment

Right now cant do any pull ups, chins... I did not try pullovers but thoght about them too yesterday... I will see if I can do those in a few days.. Man it sucks is all I can say

Comment

I've never really felt the benefits of pullovers though. For some reason I feel it more in my tri's.

Comment

Good to hear your gettin better, collar bone injuries are pretty bad be careful bro

Comment

Originally posted by FitnessBrat
                but my lats get so sore when I do pullovers.
                :agree: It could be cause they're not part of my regular routine, but when I do sets of them, I definitely know it the next day.

Comment

UPDATE

I went to the doc yesterday, and he said the popping I was hearing is where the clavicle attaches to the sternum... Of course it is not supposed to being popping... could be inflamation, or could be the bones not in perfect alignment since it was soo long after the injury before we did surgery... he said their degree of rotation could be off a bit which would cause the issue...

He said to lift whatever I wanted and do whatever I wanted as long as it did not hurt....Also stated that the popping would not be an issue unless you were an elite athlete, bodybuilder or powerlifter... We will watch it and see how it goes he said... Could never be a problem or it could over time wear out the joint there >>>How nice:(

Guess that means I will be doing pulldowns and chins etc anyways... Thought I would let you all know at least why it is happening in case any of you ever have a similar problem or injury...

Comment

Working...
                  X