Tall man squats deep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tall man squats deep

Been working on gaining more size in my legs. Explained my problem to a power lifting friend. He say's I have to squat deep. Problem being is when I do my heels lift off the floor. He told me to put a 10lbs wieght under heel or even a 25. This is working. But is it the best way to go deep? Feels little wierd at the start of press. I just need some other ideas.

You just have to work on your balance and flexibility.

Comment

Thanks. Wondering if there are other tall peeps on this board and what do they do to gain size in legs.

Comment

Lighten your weight for awhile and work on the balance like control said. You shouldn't be putting anything under your feet.

Comment

NEVER OUT ANYTHING UNDER YOUR HEALS!!!!!!

Squating to the floor, so to speak, is about core strength and flexability. It takes time. Only go as deep as good form allows you. Remember that when squating deep, you want to sit back slightly, not forward.

Comment

Originally posted by shortz
            NEVER OUT ANYTHING UNDER YOUR HEALS!!!!!!

Squating to the floor, so to speak, is about core strength and flexability. It takes time. Only go as deep as good form allows you. Remember that when squating deep, you want to sit back slightly, not forward.

Yes, time is the key. Don't think that you're going to be able to squat ass-to-heel right off the bat. Work up to it.

Comment

I had to go to lighter weights for a bit to get the form down. I'm not positive that I'm convinced that deep squats are all they're cracked up to be. I used to do parallel and now that I'm going deeper, the biggest changes I feel and see are more in my glutes than my quads.

Comment

Yeah I had too lower the weight to squats farther properly, give it some time then you'll work back up to it

Comment

I had to do both, lighten the weight and I spread my feet apart just a little bit more (about 4-6inches). The last thing I did was to turn my feet out just a little to take some pressue off my knees and keep my heals down. I kept this up until my form was down, which only took a couple of workouts. I do still have my toes pointed out slightly, but that is for my knees sake at this point.

Good luck bro

Comment

Originally posted by BBAddict
                    I had to go to lighter weights for a bit to get the form down. I'm not positive that I'm convinced that deep squats are all they're cracked up to be. I used to do parallel and now that I'm going deeper, the biggest changes I feel and see are more in my glutes than my quads.
                    For me, I don't know if it works any better, but it dosn't work any less. I like the idea that I can really push the weight in a real situation. Just a little motivation tactict for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Shibby
                      I like the idea that I can really push the weight in a real situation. Just a little motivation tactict for me.
                      LOL! I always wonder if this strength will ever come in handy in real life--for something important--I get requests for moving shit all the time!

Comment

I was using a 25lbs plates under my heal to give a stable lift so I could squat deeper. This was not my idea but a competive powerlifter friend of mine. Yes I can squat deeper but seams to put more pressure on my knees. with any new exercise I always go ligther then work heavier but not a max. Think I will use the smith machine to squat deeper. I am 6'6" though my form is correct I look different from other people squatting.
                        Thanks everyone and I will squat deep with no lift.

Comment

I personally like to do parallel on regular squats and go a little bit deeper on one legged squats. Seems to be a good combination of glutes and quads.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiev
                            Been working on gaining more size in my legs. Explained my problem to a power lifting friend. He say's I have to squat deep. Problem being is when I do my heels lift off the floor. He told me to put a 10lbs wieght under heel or even a 25. This is working. But is it the best way to go deep? Feels little wierd at the start of press. I just need some other ideas.

the tall athletes i work with also have issue with squats. range of motion is differnt for longer legs. use board or plates under heel should help.

Comment

What do you all think of box squats? I'm 6'1" and I hate squats. I do them anyway, but box squats seem to work better for me. Anyone else do them?

Comment

Working...
                              X