critique my chest w/o plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• critique my chest w/o plz

im not sure if im doing enough but here it is...

flat bench dumbell press 4 sets 12.10.8.8 @ 45-50 pounds
    incline dumbbell press 4 sets 10.10.10.8 @ 40-45 pounds
    incline and flat bench dumbell flies 4 sets 10.10.10.10 @ 20-25 pounds
    iso-decline machine 4-5 sets 10 times each @ 45's on each side

close-grip bench 3 sets 10.10.10 @ 160

i am trying to add size and shape -
    thx :nerdnew:

What is your stats? Height,weight,etc

Comment

You should incorporater the inclines first and then the flat. Plus I think 4 sets of each excercise is too much. Three would be better. Plus if you're going for size and shape, then I think working up to 10-12 reps is too much. I like to stick with 8, 6, 4 pyramiding up in weight on each set for the presses. The flys are fine how they are except drop a set or two. I like to save the closs grip for tricep day, but that's up to you. You'd be better off doing dips instead.

Comment

5'8 225 pounds(overweight not muscle) 21 yrs old

Comment

I'd say you're doing too much work.

Lower the volume, crank up the intensity and focus on basic movements.

You might want to try incorporating some wide-grip dips. These are an awesome movement for overall chest development. Make sure to lean forward when executing the movement to shift the stress away from the triceps and onto the chest.

I would say ditch the flyes too. Some people may disagree, but I don't see any real value in them.

Flat Barbell Bench Press - 2 x 5-7
          Incline Dumbbell Press - 2 x 5-7
          Wide-Grip Dips - 2 x 5-7
          Flat Dumbbell Flyes - 2 x 5-7 (optional)

That will do the trick. Train to failure and focus on progression.

Comment

Originally posted by super_sean
            I would say ditch the flyes too. Some people may disagree, but I don't see any real value in them.
            I would agree that dumbbell flyes are not that beneficial (due to the laws of gravity and the laws of physics), however I do believe that cable flyes, and other similar movements that ensure constant tension, serve a very good purpose...

Comment

Most people use flies to help them to get past a sticking point at the bottom of bp.You have to go heavy in order for it to work. I dont beleave that it does much for over-all size.

Comment

Originally posted by super_sean
                I'd say you're doing too much work.

Lower the volume, crank up the intensity and focus on basic movements.

You might want to try incorporating some wide-grip dips. These are an awesome movement for overall chest development. Make sure to lean forward when executing the movement to shift the stress away from the triceps and onto the chest.

Flat Barbell Bench Press - 2 x 5-7
                Incline Dumbbell Press - 2 x 5-7
                Wide-Grip Dips - 2 x 5-7
                Flat Dumbbell Flyes - 2 x 5-7 (optional)

That will do the trick. Train to failure and focus on progression.
                Im not sure that only 2 sets is going to help him reach his goal. He said that he is over weight. That would do great for someone that is not overweight, but he will only see a diffrence in size and not the shape that he is shooting for. i would suggest this:

Flat bench BB or DB 3 x 5-8
                Incline DB 4 x 5-8
                Wide dips 4 x 10
                Flat DB flies 3 x 10

IMO. This way he is still getting the best of both. With a few more sets and a couple extra reps on some it will help him to develope some shape along with the size.
                Last edited by TripleX; 12-31-05, 05:25 PM.

Comment

You are overtraining bro.

here ya go.

Warm up with flat bench with a weight around 50% of your max for 15 reps.
                  1st working set 10 reps making sure you are really struggling to complete the last rep (This goes for every set). 2nd set no more than 8 reps. 3rd set 6 to 8 reps and as soon as you have finished that set complete another set with the same weight you used for your warm up. Go to complete failure.

Stretch the pecs for a couple of minutes and move over to incline dumbell press. Complete three more sets of 10, 8 and finally 6. rest intervals should be around 90 seconds.

I would then recomend you do three sets of dumbell flys with a weight you can do 10 reps off on each set. Make you go down enough to really get that burn. Set the bench on a samll incline in between flat and the incline you used for your incline dumbell presses.

If you feel the need to complete one more exercise I would go with cable crossovers. three sets of 12, 10, 8. Good form and a really good burn.

Do this once a week and you should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X