Football Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football Training

I'm starting my last 3 months of training before my football season starts, I was using bodybuilding tecniques to get a good base, but now I feel I should be using more of a football specific routine. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I can only weight train 3 days a week. I can do running or cardio any day of the week. Could someone maybe help with an example of a 3 day split for football training?

what position?

football89 how old are you? 1989-2005 = 16

PM if you dont want it public.
    Last edited by NYCmitch25; 01-08-06, 01:47 PM.

Comment

I'm 16, and I play TE/LB and a bit of fullback.

Comment

Well, there is an off season and an on season way of training. One is simply alot less volume and less frequency than the other. Many lower level players make the mistake of over training during the season.

Training should be based of some of your position, but in most cases, alot of the training is the same. The thing that will differ more are the drills you run for practice. In the weight room, the number one thing to develope is neurological respose. The ability to initate movement faster, sustain it for as long as you need it, then quickly terminate the movement. This does not mean you need to replicate certain movements. In fact, anyone who tells you to mimic a sports movement with weights is def leading you in the wrong direction. Neurological response comes from simply building general explosiveness/speed-strength.

I can give you other examples if you like and possibly give you a routine to work on. Give me more info though. What id your training history, how long have you been playing football, and what are you currently doing?

I need to go, but can reply later.

Comment

train legs hard and smart.

Comment

Originally posted by shortz
            Well, there is an off season and an on season way of training. One is simply alot less volume and less frequency than the other. Many lower level players make the mistake of over training during the season.

Training should be based of some of your position, but in most cases, alot of the training is the same. The thing that will differ more are the drills you run for practice. In the weight room, the number one thing to develope is neurological respose. The ability to initate movement faster, sustain it for as long as you need it, then quickly terminate the movement. This does not mean you need to replicate certain movements. In fact, anyone who tells you to mimic a sports movement with weights is def leading you in the wrong direction. Neurological response comes from simply building general explosiveness/speed-strength.

I can give you other examples if you like and possibly give you a routine to work on. Give me more info though. What id your training history, how long have you been playing football, and what are you currently doing?

I need to go, but can reply later.
            dont jump the gun fucker...i asked what position because i was curious.

Comment

I am doing a 3 day split right now. I train my chest tris and shoulders on a monday, then my legs and abs on wednesday, and then my back bi's on fridays. It was the best i could come up with, because of my work and school schedule. I've been training for about 2 years now, and been playing football for 4.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCmitch25
                dont jump the gun fucker...i asked what position because i was curious.
                I didn't even read your reply. Perhaps you should not be the one jumping the gun. Calling someone a name and assuming isn't the best thing to do. :hang:

Comment

I didn't even read your reply. Perhaps you should not be the one jumping the gun. Calling someone a name and assuming isn't the best thing to do. :hang:
                  bullshit

Comment

Originally posted by football89
                    I am doing a 3 day split right now. I train my chest tris and shoulders on a monday, then my legs and abs on wednesday, and then my back bi's on fridays. It was the best i could come up with, because of my work and school schedule. I've been training for about 2 years now, and been playing football for 4.
                    Body part splits are ok for BBing, but IMO, are terrible for some sports. It's time to split it up differently. The upper/lower body split would be much better for you. this is because due to the lifts that will be done, you want to rest the central nervous system longer. You have to remember that rest is not just peripheral, it's also central.

The biggest thing you want to make sure you are doing is some major Olympic lifts. Part of doing Oly lifts is learning to be explosive. It builds neurological response time and is a "learned" ability. If you do too many reps for an exercise that is supposed to be explosive, you will teach yourself bad motor function. The larger the muscle, the larger the metobolic expense, so the bigger the lift, the less reps you can do with good form. For instance, you could do push presses for 6 reps, but power cleans (from the floor) will only be 2-3 rep sets.

An example of a routine for a 3 day split would look like this.

Day 1
                    Flat press-7 for 4 sets reps. These are done explosively. the faster the bar comes down, the faster it goes back up. Keep good form though.
                    Barbell rows-8-10 reps for 3 sets- Back strength stable
                    Push press-6 reps for 4 sets
                    Skull crushers

Day 2
                    Squats-6-8 reps for 3-4 sets
                    Hang cleans-2-3 reps for 8 sets
                    Heavy abs
                    Hammer curls-6-8 reps for 4 sets

Day 3
                    Incline press with close grip-7 reps for 4 sets
                    Pullups/chins-4 sets to fatigue add weight if you can do more than 12 at a time
                    Laterals

Day 4 (optional)
                    Deadlifts-6-8 reps for 3 sets
                    Plyo jumps
                    Lunges-3 sets of 10-12
                    Calf raises
                    Heavy abs

Comment

Originally posted by NYCmitch25
                      bullshit
                      Great reply. The original poster is learning so much from them. :bravonew:

Comment

that looks like a good split...if I can find one of my old workout logs that our strength/conditioning coach made for us, I can make it available to you...basically, it's a lot like powerlifting training...what you have there is a good start

Comment

Great reply. The original poster is learning so much from them. :bravonew:
                          settle down homo...

the split looks good.

Comment

WS4SB I

Max Effort Upper Body (Monday)
                            A. MAX-EFFORT LIFT – Work up to a max set of 3-5 reps. (Example - 45 lbs x 15 reps, 135x10, 185x3, 215x3, 230x3, 240x3, 250x3)
                            Choose one of the following exercises (switch up the exercises every 2-3 weeks):
                            Thick bar or regular barbell bench press
                            Barbell floor press
                            Rack lockouts
                            Board presses
                            Incline barbell bench
                            Close-grip bench press
                            Decline bench press
                            Weighted dips

B. SUPPLEMENTAL LIFT – Perform 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.
                            Choose one of the following exercises:
                            Flat dumbbell bench press (palms in or palms forward)
                            Incline dumbbell bench press
                            Decline dumbbell bench press

C. HORIZONTAL ROW – Perform 4 sets of 10-15 reps.
                            Chest supported rows
                            Bent-over dumbbell or barbell rows
                            Seated cable rows (various bars)

D. REAR DELT/UPPER BACK – Perform 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps.
                            Seated rear delt machine
                            Seated dumbbell “power cleans”
                            Bent-over cable flyes (single arm)
                            Standing face pulls
                            Rope pulls to throat
                            Bent-over dumbbell rear delt flyes

E. WEIGHTED ABDOMINAL EXERCISE – 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps.
                            Barbell Russian twists
                            Low-cable pull-ins
                            Hanging leg raises
                            Barbell or dumbbell side bends
                            Weighted Swiss ball crunches
                            Low pulley Swiss ball crunches

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOWER BODY – (Wednesday)

A. MAX-EFFORT LIFT – Work up to a max set of 5 reps.
                            Trap bar deadlift
                            Box squats
                            Rack pulls (partial deadlift)
                            Front squats
                            High bar Olympic squats
                            Straight bar deadlifts (various grips)

B. UNILATERAL MOVEMENT – Perform 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps.
                            Single leg squats, back leg elevated
                            Barbell step-ups with knee lift
                            Barbell reverse lunges
                            Barbell reverse lunges, front foot elevated
                            Barbell reverse lunges, front foot elevated (with knee lift)
                            Low-pulley split squats, front foot elevated
                            Walking lunges
                            “Speed-skater” squats (1 and a half rep single leg squats)
                            Barbell step-ups

C. HAMSTRING / POSTERIOR CHAIN MOVEMENT – Perform 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.
                            Leg curls
                            Glute-ham raises (various resistance, iso-holds, negatives)
                            Romanian deadlifts
                            Seated or standing good mornings
                            Stability ball hamstring lifts
                            Pull-throughs
                            Reverse hypers

D. GRIP TRAINING – Perform 3 sets of timed sets.
                            Thick bar or heavy dumbbell holds
                            Plate pinch gripping
                            Captains of Crush gripper – 3 sets of max reps each hand.
                            Wrist roller

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REPETITION UPPER BODY – (Friday)

A. REPETITION LIFT – Work up to 3 sets of max reps, rest 60 seconds between sets.
                            Barbell bench press (max reps on 95lbs., 135lbs., 185lbs. or 225lbs.)
                            Regular push-ups, bar push-ups or suspended chain push-ups
                            Bodyweight dips
                            Dumbbell benches on Swiss ball, flat bench or incline bench

B. SUPPLEMENTAL LIFT (triceps) – Perform 3-4 sets of 5-10 reps.
                            Dumbbell triceps extensions (flat, incline or decline bench)
                            Dumbbell floor presses
                            Rolling triceps extensions
                            Rope pushdowns
                            Skull crushers (EZ bar or straight bar)

C. VERTICAL PULLING – Perform 4 sets of 8-12 reps.
                            Lat pulldowns (various bars)
                            Chin-ups or Pull-ups

D. MEDIAL DELT or TRAP EXERCISE – Perform 3 sets of 10-15 reps.
                            Dumbbell side press (single arm)
                            Dumbbell shoulder press (seated or standing)
                            Lateral raises (dumbbell or cable)
                            Barbell or dumbbell shrugs
                            Bradford presses

E. ELBOW FLEXION EXERCISE – Perform 3 sets of 8-10 reps.
                            Thick bar curls
                            Preacher curls (EZ bar or straight bar)
                            Regular barbell curls
                            Hammer curls
                            Alternate dumbbell curls (standing or seated incline)

F. ABDOMINAL CIRCUIT TRAINING
                            Just pick a variety of ab exercises and perform them in circuit fashion with no rest between exercises.

As the season gets closer incorporate running/conditioning/GPP work
                            break up the week as follows:

MONDAY (A.M.) – MAX-EFFORT Upper Body lift
                            MONDAY (P.M.) – Sprint work, conditioning, GPP or skill training
                            TUESDAY – OFF or Restoration techniques
                            WEDNESDAY - Sprint work, conditioning, GPP or skill training
                            THURSDAY – REPETITION Upper Body lift
                            FRIDAY - Sprint work, conditioning, GPP or skill training
                            SATURDAY – Lower Body lift
                            SUNDAY – OFF or Restoration techniques
                            Last edited by NYCmitch25; 01-09-06, 08:34 PM.

Comment

http://www.heavygrips.com/ I would pick up some of these for grip work.

Comment

Working...
                              X