Chest gain with shoulder pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chest gain with shoulder pain

Hello, first I'm 33 years old 6'6" and weight 246. Been trying to gain more mass and strength while working around bad shoulder. My shoulder has had 2 surgeries and is 100% except for joint pain when lifting heavy chest movements. I work around this by using lighter freewieght, machines and cable crossovers while still aternating with heavy presses about once a month. Would like a few other Ideas about excorsises for chest from people who have or had shoulder injuries.
    Btw: shoulder problem was a misshapen scapula and they cut part of the lower trap to correct it.

Originally posted by Kiev
    Hello, first I'm 33 years old 6'6" and weight 246. Been trying to gain more mass and strength while working around bad shoulder. My shoulder has had 2 surgeries and is 100% except for joint pain when lifting heavy chest movements. I work around this by using lighter freewieght, machines and cable crossovers while still aternating with heavy presses about once a month. Would like a few other Ideas about excorsises for chest from people who have or had shoulder injuries.
    Btw: shoulder problem was a misshapen scapula and they cut part of the lower trap to correct it.

have you tried training chest with dumbells?

Comment

If it truly is joint pain then I would try glucosamine, chondroitin, & msm supplementation. Fish/flax oil wouldnt hurt either.

Comment

high dose Vitamin C is another good one to add to supps. Also, I have been taking a supp that includes glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and gelatin and it seems to be working well. It's called Elasti-Joint.

As for lifting, DBs do allow the best ROM for joints. If it still hurts, try using a hammer grip for DB chest presses. This let's the triceps do more work and not the delts.

Comment

glucosamine, chondroitin is a everyday supplement helps alot. I use dumbells, machine, cables and free wieghts. I alternate my routine subbing one exercise for another. I was going heavy every other week then started every 4 weeks. Seams better need little more time.

Comment

deca tends to ease joint pain for many.

Comment

When you do presses, don't lower the weight all the way to your chest. Your arms are long, so if you lower the weight too far you put your shoulders in a vulnerable position.

Comment

Originally posted by Control
                When you do presses, don't lower the weight all the way to your chest. Your arms are long, so if you lower the weight too far you put your shoulders in a vulnerable position.
                My thoughts exactly. Even people with healthy shoulders should try to avoid lowering the bar too far. The bottom two-four inches from the chest is where most injuries occur, and you don't need to go that low to effectively work the pectorals anyway.

Comment

so u dont need to touch the weights (bar) to your chest or go to a full stretch at the bottom(db)? isnt getting a full stretch of the muscle what makes it "tear" and then eventually rebuild?

Comment

Originally posted by zed
                    so u dont need to touch the weights (bar) to your chest or go to a full stretch at the bottom(db)? isnt getting a full stretch of the muscle what makes it "tear" and then eventually rebuild?
                    at that point you're not working your pectorals anyways, you're working your front deltoids from an unnatural angle and that's what's causing the pain. you DO want to get as much of a range of motion as possible, but for your chest that's in all likelihood (at your height) at the point where your upper arms are parallel with the floor.

Comment

Ok I'm still learning. I Useally always go full range. I can feal tris tire more when I don't do full range. Just figured it was mostly petoral on lower to mid movemnet of lift.
                      Someone mention taking deca. I have heard the same thing but before I do a cycle I wanted a good base to blastoff from. Thanks you everyone. Will change up routine.

Comment

i think you have the right idea when talking about building a good base first, more people should take that approach and build their bodies correctly. too many newbies come in with a different attitude so i commend you. learning is part of the fun, call me weird but when i stop learning it's no longer much fun for me in the gym!

Comment

Originally posted by Kiev
                          Ok I'm still learning. I Useally always go full range. I can feal tris tire more when I don't do full range. Just figured it was mostly petoral on lower to mid movemnet of lift.
                          Someone mention taking deca. I have heard the same thing but before I do a cycle I wanted a good base to blastoff from. Thanks you everyone. Will change up routine.

Lower the bar till your upper arms are parrallel to the floor.

Comment

Alot less shoulder pain and my chest feels sore from the work out I was able to give it. Thanks Contol and everyone for input.

Comment

Working...
                            X